Question for comp sci majors or grads

• Programs
  • Thread starter mmapcpro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    comp sci
In summary, the core computer science courses do not require a strong working knowledge of mathematics and physics. The program mainly focuses on discrete math and logic, with some probability. Courses that involve calculus, algebra, and geometry are not included in the program. Therefore, there is no need to restudy those subjects before starting the program.
mmapcpro
Do your core comp sci courses require strong working knowledge of mathematics and physics?

I am transferring some undergrad credits from a physics program into a comp sci program, but
my math and physics classes were about 10 years ago. I got A's in physics 1 and 2, calc 1, 2, 3, and diff eq, but I haven't touched those books in years.

If I jump into the comp sci degree, I'll be getting into the core comp sci classes (data structures, object oriented, operating systems, etc.

Here is a link to the program: http://www.admissions.wichita.edu/factsheets/Computer Science.pdf

How hard should I stress on restudying all of that math and physics before school starts in January?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't worry about it. IMO you shouldn't restudy those things before school starts.
A. Most of the math we use is discrete math and logic. Some probability.
B. Courses with emphasize on calculus/algebra/geometry/etc., like image processing, graphics, compression, etc., are not in your program.
C. Physics & Diff. Equations aren't used _at all_ (at least not here).

FAQ: Question for comp sci majors or grads

1. What is computer science?

Computer science is the study of computers and computational systems, including their principles, their hardware and software designs, their applications, and their impact on society.

2. What are some common career paths for computer science majors or graduates?

Common career paths for computer science majors or graduates include software development, web development, data analysis, information security, and computer systems analysis.

3. What skills are important for a successful career in computer science?

Some important skills for a successful career in computer science include strong problem-solving abilities, proficiency in programming languages, critical thinking skills, and the ability to adapt to new technologies and trends.

4. What can I do with a degree in computer science?

A degree in computer science can open up a variety of career opportunities, such as software engineer, data analyst, computer systems analyst, web developer, information security analyst, and more. It can also provide a solid foundation for pursuing further education in a specific area of computer science.

5. How can I prepare for a career in computer science while still in school?

To prepare for a career in computer science while still in school, you can take courses in programming, mathematics, and computer science, participate in internships or research projects, and work on personal projects to build your skills and experience. Networking and attending industry events can also help you make connections and gain insights into the field.