Question from a noob to the forum regarding current research in Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses potential areas of physics that may experience significant advancements and breakthroughs in the next few decades. Some mentioned topics include string theory, particle physics, cosmology, nanotechnology, gravitational waves, and fusion power. The group agrees that experimental data and evidence is crucial in driving progress in physics. The ITER facility is mentioned as a promising project for fusion power, and a link is provided for more information. The conversation then shifts to a focus on pure basic research in physics and identifying theoretical ideas that have potential for experimental verification.
tiyusufaly
Hey all,

I would just like some opinion as to which fields of physics are currently looking to be the hottest ones for research and intellectual discovery for the next few decades. Obviously no one can predict for certain, but I would like some thoughts on where the next major advances in Physics knowledge, potentially revolutionary breakthroughs, might occur. I was thinking string theory, particle physics, cosmology, all those theoretical subjects that tie around the unification of forces, the potential TOE, etc... may be the hot spots, but they don't seem like they are going to be very empirically verifiable any time soon.

Opinions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nanotech looks promising.

We're hoping to discover gravitational waves any moment now (LIGO, LISA, etc), and if successful there will be a whole new field "gravitational wave astronomy" to complement general relativity theory.

Similarly, if the ITER facility proves successful, then there will be a huge demand to start building fusion powerplants.

Physics is driven by experiment, so I expect the big advances will usually occur wherever there exists previously unattainable data.

cesiumfrog said:
Similarly, if the ITER facility proves successful, then there will be a huge demand to start building fusion powerplants.
Can you please post a link for more info? My intro into fusion physics about a decade ago was pretty discouraging. Especially the part about still needing to handle the radioactive waste. It would be cool if they've figured out how to ignite and sustain the most benign reaction.:!)

Okay, sorry to do this, but I think I've kind of narrowed down my question a bit more, so I'd appreciate if people would address this recently altered request:

I am not questioning so much what is major in applied physics. That stuff, nanotech, quantum dots, computers, etc... is very nice, but I'm more interested in pure physics, not its applications.

So what theoretical ideas about pure basic research physics seem like they are capable of getting huge opportunity for experimental verification and support? Like, the gravitational waves was an example of a theoretical topic (curvatures of space time, gravity energy waves) that is on the verge of a revolution in experimental evidence to support it and solidify it.

What other topics in pure basic research of physics are there like that, poised and ready to be verified with experiment over the next few decades?

berkeman said:
Can you please post a link for more info? My intro into fusion physics about a decade ago was pretty discouraging. Especially the part about still needing to handle the radioactive waste. It would be cool if they've figured out how to ignite and sustain the most benign reaction.:!)
Well the homepage should be sufficient. http://www.iter.org/
ITER is a European collaboration to make a fusion power plant and try to get ahead of the US. Well, maybe they're already ahead regarding more purely-physics stuff like this. Blast! SSC!

Related to Question from a noob to the forum regarding current research in Physics

1. What is the current focus of research in physics?

The current focus of research in physics varies widely, as the field covers a vast range of topics. Some current areas of interest include quantum mechanics, cosmology, particle physics, and condensed matter physics.

2. How do scientists conduct research in physics?

Scientists conduct research in physics through a combination of theoretical and experimental methods. Theoretical physicists use mathematical models and equations to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems, while experimental physicists use experiments to test and validate these theories.

3. What is the role of technology in current physics research?

Technology plays a crucial role in current physics research, as it allows scientists to observe and manipulate physical phenomena at a much smaller scale and with greater precision than ever before. Advanced tools such as particle accelerators, telescopes, and supercomputers are essential for making new discoveries in physics.

4. How does physics research impact our daily lives?

Physics research has a significant impact on our daily lives, as it has led to the development of many technologies that we rely on, such as computers, smartphones, and medical equipment. It also helps us understand and address global issues such as climate change and energy production.

5. What are the potential future breakthroughs in physics research?

The potential future breakthroughs in physics research are endless, as there are still many mysteries and unanswered questions in the field. Some areas of potential advancement include quantum computing, fusion energy, and the search for the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

Back