Question involving resistance and heat transfer

In summary, a resistance is connected to a battery inside a thermally insulated cylinder containing an ideal gas. The current flowing through the resistance is 240 mA and the value of the resistance is 550 ohms. The question is at what velocity should the piston move upwards, with a mass of 11.8 kg, in order to maintain a constant temperature of the gas. The power is calculated to be 132 W and the heat transferred to the gas is 132 J per second. The displacement of the piston is found to be 27.4 cm per second. The forces acting on the piston include its weight, atmospheric pressure, and the pressure of the gas. However, since the piston is moving at a constant speed, there
pc2-brazil

Homework Statement

A resistance, connected to a battery, is put inside a thermally insulated cylinder which has an adjusted frictionless piston and contains an ideal gas. Through the resistance, a current i = 240 mA flows. At which velocity v should the piston move upwards, so that the temperature of the gas remains constant? The value of the resistance is R = 550 ohms and the mass of the piston is 11.8 kg.
[Note: the attached picture is scanned from "Physics" by Halliday, Resnick and Krane, 4th edition, Brazillian Portuguese version.]

Homework Equations

Joule effect:
[tex]P=Ri^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]P=Ri^2 = (550)(240\times 10^{-3}) = 132 W[/tex]
So, if this energy is entirely transferred to the gas, then the gas receives 132 J at each second.
If the volume remained constant, the temperature of the gas would increase. So, the piston should move upwards, thus allowing the gas to expand, increasing its volume and keeping the temperature constant.
I'm not sure if I understand this situation properly. I think that the heat Q transferred to the gas at each second equals 132 J. This heat will equal the work done by the gas against the piston to expand, maintaining the temperature constant.
I'm not sure how to proceed from here. I also don't know how the weight of the piston will interfere in the process.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• fig.jpg
    fig.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to square the current.

The voltage is 132 Volts. The current is .24A so the power is VI = 31.7 Joules/sec or watts.

So in one second:
Q = 31.7 J
ΔU = 0 (assuming an ideal gas)
W = mgΔh

Since the speed is constant there is no change in kinetic energy.

Does that help?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
You have to square the current.

The voltage is 132 Volts. The current is .24A so the power is VI = 31.7 Joules/sec or watts.

So in one second:
Q = 31.7 J
ΔU = 0 (assuming an ideal gas)
W = mgΔh

Since the speed is constant there is no change in kinetic energy.

Does that help?

AM
Yes, that helps.
So, I had the values of Q (apart from not having squared the current) and ΔU; I was only missing the value of W.
It will give:
Q = ΔU + W
31.7 = 0 + (11.8)(9.81)Δh
Δh = 27.4 cm
Because Δh is the displacement at each second, it corresponds to the velocity v of the piston, in cm/s. [This is the correct answer indicated in the book.]

So, the forces acting on the piston are its weight (mg) downwards, the force due to atmospheric pressure (patmA, where A is the area of the piston) downwards and the force due to the pressure of the gas (pA), upwards.
But what is keeping the piston's velocity constant? Is it a force of magnitude |mg + patmA - pA|?

pc2-brazil said:
But what is keeping the piston's velocity constant? Is it a force of magnitude |mg + patmA - pA|?
If it is moving at constant speed is there a net force acting on it? (hint: Newton's first law).

AM

I don't get it. :confused:
Isn't the work done = (mg + patmA)Δh?

That would either mean we have insufficient information, or we need to assume that an external force is be applied equal to patmA...

I like Serena said:
I don't get it. :confused:
Isn't the work done = (mg + patmA)Δh?

That would either mean we have insufficient information, or we need to assume that an external force is be applied equal to patmA...
If the top of the piston was exposed to atmospheric pressure, you would be correct, of course. But there is no indication of that in the question or drawing. There is just an ideal gas below. Also, area is not given so we are to assume it is immaterial - ie. no gas pressure downward on the piston.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
If it is moving at constant speed is there a net force acting on it? (hint: Newton's first law).

AM

There is certainly no net force. Since there is no net force, this means that there must be a force of magnitude |mg + patmA - pA|, applied by an external agent, which opposes the net force on the piston due to the pressure of the gas, atmospheric pressure and gravity. Is this correct?

Last edited:

Related to Question involving resistance and heat transfer

What is resistance and how does it affect heat transfer?

Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for heat to transfer through a material. Materials with high resistance require more energy to transfer heat, while materials with low resistance allow heat to pass through more easily.

How does the thickness of a material impact resistance and heat transfer?

The thicker a material is, the more resistance it has to heat transfer. This is because a thicker material requires more energy to heat up and allow heat to pass through. Thinner materials have less resistance and thus, heat can transfer more easily.

What is the difference between thermal conductivity and thermal resistance?

Thermal conductivity refers to how easily a material can transfer heat, while thermal resistance measures how much a material resists the flow of heat. They are inversely related - materials with high thermal conductivity have low thermal resistance and vice versa.

How does the surface area of an object affect heat resistance?

The larger the surface area of an object, the more heat can be transferred through it. This is because a larger surface area allows for more contact between the object and the heat source, increasing the rate of heat transfer.

What factors can affect the resistance of a material to heat transfer?

Some factors that can affect resistance to heat transfer include the type of material, its thickness, surface area, and thermal conductivity. Other factors include the temperature difference between the material and its surroundings, as well as any insulation or environmental conditions that may impact heat transfer.