Question of Galactic Proportions

• Thread starter ranrod
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks for the answer bombadil :) One more question. As the gas cloud collapses, what causes it to spin? I can imagine why water spins going into the drain on my tub - only so much water can fit through the drain at a time so as all the water molecules collide on their way to the drain, they spin. Is it like that?
ranrod
Why are [most] galaxies flat? The milky-way is 2,000 ly tall and 100,000 ly long, for instance. Why do they flatten out? How about our Solar sytem? I can't find any model of the solar system that shows the planetary orbits in 3D so I can't tell if most planets are in the same "flat" orbit.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi ranrod,

Great questions. Let's start with our solar system. Think of it when it was in its infancy as just a collapsing cloud of gas, before the sun and planets had congealed. Virtually all astronomical things are noticeably spinning in some direction, and our infant cloud of gas is no different. As the cloud collapses the gas spins faster and faster (just as the ice skater spins faster when his arms are pulled in). Now the part of the cloud that is spinning the fastest starts dominating. In other words, the particles whose orbits don't align with the "spinning" plane collide with the particles that are in the "spinning" plane, and eventually virtually all the particles collapse into a spinning disc like structure. Then the planets form from the gas that is in this same plane. And sure enough, that's what our solar system looks like. This so called "nebular hypothesis" was put forth way back in the day (early 19th century) by Laplace and has since received observational validation.

Galaxies are supposedly assembled in the same way. Except instead of a sun and planets congealing, it's stars that congeal from the gas.

-bombadil

bombadil said:
Hi ranrod,

Great questions. Let's start with our solar system. Think of it when it was in its infancy as just a collapsing cloud of gas, before the sun and planets had congealed. Virtually all astronomical things are noticeably spinning in some direction, and our infant cloud of gas is no different. As the cloud collapses the gas spins faster and faster (just as the ice skater spins faster when his arms are pulled in). Now the part of the cloud that is spinning the fastest starts dominating. In other words, the particles whose orbits don't align with the "spinning" plane collide with the particles that are in the "spinning" plane, and eventually virtually all the particles collapse into a spinning disc like structure. Then the planets form from the gas that is in this same plane. And sure enough, that's what our solar system looks like. This so called "nebular hypothesis" was put forth way back in the day (early 19th century) by Laplace and has since received observational validation.

Galaxies are supposedly assembled in the same way. Except instead of a sun and planets congealing, it's stars that congeal from the gas.

-bombadil

Thanks for the answer bombadil :) One more question. As the gas cloud collapses, what causes it to spin? I can imagine why water spins going into the drain on my tub - only so much water can fit through the drain at a time so as all the water molecules collide on their way to the drain, they spin. Is it like that?

ranrod said:
Thanks for the answer bombadil :) One more question. As the gas cloud collapses, what causes it to spin? I can imagine why water spins going into the drain on my tub - only so much water can fit through the drain at a time so as all the water molecules collide on their way to the drain, they spin. Is it like that?

Partially. Since the gas cloud collapses from an enormous size down to the size of a solar system (or galaxy), and since its rotation speeds up as it collapses, it only needs a very slow initial rotation to end up with an appreciable spin. Such a tiny rotation can be influenced by a lot of factors, like nearby supernova explosions and gravitational interactions with surrounding matter.

Spin is imparted at random during the collapse phase. Once enough molecules get aligned in a particular direction, the rest tend to join the crowd.

Related to Question of Galactic Proportions

1. What is meant by "Question of Galactic Proportions"?

The phrase "Question of Galactic Proportions" refers to a question or problem that has huge implications for our understanding of the universe and our place within it. It often involves concepts related to astronomy, astrophysics, and space exploration.

2. What are some examples of questions of galactic proportions?

Some examples of questions of galactic proportions include: What is the ultimate fate of the universe? Are we alone in the universe? How did galaxies form and evolve? What is the nature of dark matter and dark energy?

3. Why are questions of galactic proportions important to study?

Questions of galactic proportions are important to study because they expand our knowledge and understanding of the vast and complex universe we live in. They also have practical applications, such as helping us develop new technologies and advancements in space exploration.

4. How do scientists approach studying questions of galactic proportions?

Scientists approach studying questions of galactic proportions by using a combination of theoretical models, observations, and experiments. They also collaborate and share their findings with other scientists in the field to advance our understanding.

5. Is there a definitive answer to questions of galactic proportions?

No, there is often no definitive answer to questions of galactic proportions as they are constantly evolving and new discoveries are being made. However, through continued research and advancements in technology, scientists are able to provide more accurate and detailed explanations for these questions.