Question on Archimedes principle.

In summary: B=(4*10-3)*(10)*(1000)>>\here i did it wrong.It should B=(4*10-3)*(10+2)*(1000)>>\thanks ehild. I got the mistake.Well done!
vkash

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of mass m=2 kilogram and specific gravity s=0.5 is held stationary to a tank as shown in figure. The tank is accelerating upward with a=2ms-2. calculate the tension in the string? If suddenly string break then the acceleration of the ball in frame of tank.

Homework Equations

Archimedes principle

The Attempt at a Solution

see in attachment.
for second question. My answer is
net force =B-mg=20 so acceleration in frame of ground is 10. In frame it should 10-2=8.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,146
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vkash said:

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of mass m=2 kilogram and specific gravity s=0.5 is held stationary to a tank as shown in figure. The tank is accelerating upward with a=2ms-2. calculate the tension in the string.

Homework Equations

Archimedes principle

The Attempt at a Solution

see in attachment.

Hi Vkash,
What is your question?

ehild

ehild said:
Hi Vkash,
What is your question?

ehild
A solid sphere of mass m=2 kilogram and specific gravity s=0.5 is held stationary to a tank as shown in figure. The tank is accelerating upward with a=2ms-2.
(1) calculate the tension in the string?
(2) If suddenly string break then the acceleration of the ball in frame of tank?
I have tried to answer these questions. Where am i wrong.

The problem is easiest to solve if you use the accelerating frame of reference, fixed to the tank. Have you learned about accelerating frames of reference? You feel heavier in a lift which accelerates upward as if the gravitational acceleration g would be bigger. And you feel lighter in a frame of reference accelerating downward. In a falling lift you are weightless.

Buoyant force arises because of the weight of the liquid. In a falling tank, there would be no buoyant force. You could immerse any object into the liquid, it would stay at the same place.
This tank accelerates upward with a=2 m/s^2. Everything feels heavier, as if the gravitational constant would be g'=g+2 instead of 10 m/s^2. Even the buoyant force will be larger than in the tank in rest.

Can you proceed?

ehild

ehild said:
The problem is easiest to solve if you use the accelerating frame of reference, fixed to the tank. Have you learned about accelerating frames of reference? You feel heavier in a lift which accelerates upward as if the gravitational acceleration g would be bigger. And you feel lighter in a frame of reference accelerating downward. In a falling lift you are weightless.

Buoyant force arises because of the weight of the liquid. In a falling tank, there would be no buoyant force. You could immerse any object into the liquid, it would stay at the same place.
This tank accelerates upward with a=2 m/s^2. Everything feels heavier, as if the gravitational constant would be g'=g+2 instead of 10 m/s^2. Even the buoyant force will be larger than in the tank in rest.

Can you proceed?

ehild

yes i have read this in starting mechanics.(working with non inertial frame of reference)
In your way.
B=M(g+a)+T
Is it correct?

if string is snapped.
B-m(g+a)=ma'
answer of second question.

I hope It will be OK if you calculate the buoyant force correctly.

ehild

ehild said:
I hope It will be OK if you calculate the buoyant force correctly.

ehild

volume of ball is 2/500=4*10-3
B=(4*10-3)*(10)*(1000)
here i did it wrong.
It should B=(4*10-3)*(10+2)*(1000)
thanks ehild. I got the mistake.

Well done!

ehild

Related to Question on Archimedes principle.

1. What is Archimedes principle?

Archimedes principle is a physical law that states that the upward buoyant force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. Who discovered Archimedes principle?

The principle was discovered by the ancient Greek mathematician, physicist, and inventor, Archimedes.

3. How is Archimedes principle applied in real life?

Archimedes principle is applied in various real-life situations, such as determining the buoyancy of ships, submarines, and hot air balloons. It is also used in designing and constructing ships, submarines, and other floating structures.

4. What is the formula for Archimedes principle?

The formula for Archimedes principle is Fb = ρ x V x g, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of fluid displaced, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can Archimedes principle be applied to other fluids besides water?

Yes, Archimedes principle can be applied to any fluid, including gases and other liquids, as long as the density and volume of the fluid are known.