Question on calculating load on tidal movement

In summary, calculating wind load involves multiplying the windspeed, itself, and 0.00431 by the square footage of the area. In a five mph wind, a 100 sq.ft vertical wing would experience a force of 10.77 lbs. The mass of salt water is significantly greater than air, being around 854 times heavier. It is possible to use the wind formula and multiply by 854, but the correct coefficient (C) for the desired force must be used. It is recommended to have a thorough understanding of fluid mechanics before attempting these calculations. There is no shortcut to the answer, and seeking assistance from consultant engineers is not allowed on this forum.
jamesd442001
Calculating wind load is windspeed x itself x.00431 x sq. ft. of area. A 100 sq.ft vertical wing in a five mph wind is 10.77 lbs. The mass of salt water is around 854 times that of air. Can you use the wind formula and multiply by 854? Also, does this change with the weight of water at different atmospheres?

Physics news on Phys.org
The basic equation you are describing is
F = (1/2)*rho*C*V^2
which is used for all sorts of turbulent flow force calculations. The trick is to have the correct C for the force component you want to calculate. It is common to distinguish between a lift and a drag force component, where each has its own coefficient (C-value).

I suggest you do some reading on fluid mechanics before you try to make these calcs to be sure you know what you are doing.

I'm more of a mechanical individual looking for the short answer at this point. There is quite a bit more to this than I'm showing. I,ve engaged several consultant engineers at this point to no avail. So if there is not a short answer can you direct me to someone or a service capable of the short and long answer?

Unfortunately, no. That is not permitted on this forum.

FAQ: Question on calculating load on tidal movement

1. How is the load on tidal movement calculated?

The load on tidal movement is calculated by multiplying the density of the water by the volume of the tidal range. This gives the total weight of water that is being moved by the tides.

2. What factors affect the load on tidal movement?

The load on tidal movement can be affected by various factors such as the shape of the coastline, the size and depth of the body of water, and the strength and direction of the tides.

3. How does the load on tidal movement impact the environment?

The load on tidal movement can have significant impacts on the environment. It can cause erosion and sedimentation, affect the distribution of nutrients and organisms, and influence the shape and stability of coastlines.

4. Can the load on tidal movement be predicted?

Yes, the load on tidal movement can be predicted by using mathematical models and data on tidal patterns and characteristics of the body of water. However, these predictions may not always be accurate due to the complexity of tidal systems.

5. How is the load on tidal movement measured?

The load on tidal movement can be measured using instruments such as tide gauges and current meters, which record the changes in water level and velocity caused by the tides. These measurements are then used to calculate the load on tidal movement.

Back