Question on changing limits of integral

In summary, when ##\omega##=0, the limits and integral are the same. However, when ##\omega##>0, the integral becomes infinite while the limit remains the same.
rwooduk
Say we have

[tex]\int_{0}^{\omega _{D}} \frac{\hbar \omega^{3}}{exp (\frac{\hbar\omega}{kT}) - 1} d\omega[/tex]

let

[tex]x = \frac{\hbar\omega}{kT}[/tex]

if we sub in we get

[tex](\frac{kT}{\hbar})^{3} (\frac{kT}{\hbar}) \int_{0}^{\omega _{D}} \frac{x^{3}}{exp (x) - 1} dx[/tex]

my question is how would the limits and integral change to get the limits in terms of x?

ANSWER:

[tex](\frac{kT}{\hbar})^{3} {kT} \int_{0}^{x _{D}} \frac{x^{3}}{exp (x) - 1} dx[/tex]

i.e. it removes a h-bar when the limits are changed, please could someone explain this?

thanks for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
Say we have

[tex]\int_{0}^{\omega _{D}} \frac{\hbar \omega^{3}}{exp (\frac{\hbar\omega}{kT}) - 1} d\omega[/tex]

let

[tex]x = \frac{\hbar\omega}{kT}[/tex]
Since you are replacing ##\omega## with x, you're going to need to calculate dx as well.
rwooduk said:
if we sub in we get

[tex](\frac{kT}{\hbar})^{3} (\frac{kT}{\hbar}) \int_{0}^{\omega _{D}} \frac{x^{3}}{exp (x) - 1} dx[/tex]

my question is how would the limits and integral change to get the limits in terms of x?
When ##\omega## = 0, it's pretty obvious that x = 0 as well. Use your substitution above to calculate x when ##\omega = \omega_D##.
rwooduk said:
ANSWER:

[tex](\frac{kT}{\hbar})^{3} {kT} \int_{0}^{x _{D}} \frac{x^{3}}{exp (x) - 1} dx[/tex]

i.e. it removes a h-bar when the limits are changed, please could someone explain this?

thanks for any help

Mark44 said:
Since you are replacing ##\omega## with x, you're going to need to calculate dx as well.
When ##\omega## = 0, it's pretty obvious that x = 0 as well. Use your substitution above to calculate x when ##\omega = \omega_D##.

Thanks for the reply, I already calculated dx/dw = h-bar/kT , that's where the second kT/h-bar comes from in the second equation. Not sure how what you are saying helps me determine how the new limit x on the integral changes what is in the equation. i.e. where the h-bar goes in the answer

You have made a mistake when you did your substitution. After your substitution you should have this:
$$\int \frac{\hbar(\frac{kT}{\hbar})^3x^3 \frac{kT}{\hbar}dx}{e^x - 1}$$
When simplified, this gives what you showed as the answer.

Likes rwooduk
Mark44 said:
You have made a mistake when you did your substitution. After your substitution you should have this:
$$\int \frac{\hbar(\frac{kT}{\hbar})^3x^3 \frac{kT}{\hbar}dx}{e^x - 1}$$
When simplified, this gives what you showed as the answer.

ahhh, ok thank you! i thought changing the limit effected the term somehow :-/ many thanks!

Related to Question on changing limits of integral

What is the purpose of changing limits of integration?

The purpose of changing limits of integration is to simplify the evaluation of an integral. By changing the limits, we can transform the integral into a more manageable form and make the integration process easier.

How do you change the limits of integration?

To change the limits of integration, we use a substitution or transformation method. This involves substituting the original variables with new ones and adjusting the integration limits accordingly. These new variables should simplify the integrand and make the integration process more efficient.

When should you consider changing the limits of integration?

You should consider changing the limits of integration when the integral is difficult to evaluate or when it involves complex functions. This can help reduce the complexity of the integral and make the evaluation process more manageable.

What is the difference between changing the limits of integration and using a change of variable?

Changing the limits of integration and using a change of variable are two different methods for simplifying integrals. Changing the limits involves adjusting the limits based on a substitution or transformation, while a change of variable involves substituting new variables into the integrand. Both methods can be used to make the integration process easier, but they serve different purposes.

Are there any limitations to changing the limits of integration?

While changing the limits of integration can make the evaluation process easier, it may not always be possible or beneficial. There may be certain integrals where changing the limits does not simplify the integral or may even make it more complicated. It is important to consider the specific integral and the potential benefits before deciding to change the limits of integration.