Question on derivation of potential of a small current loop

In summary, the vector magnetic potential is given by \vec A=\frac{\mu I}{4\pi}\oint\frac{e^{-j\beta R_1}}{R_1}dl', which, after a few steps, becomes \vec A=\frac{\mu I}{4\pi}e^{-j \beta R}\left[ (1+j\betaR)\oint\frac{dl'}{R_1}-j\beta\oint dl'\right]. The second integral, \oint dl', is claimed to obviously vanish, which seems contradictory since for a small loop, ##dl'=rd\phi##. However, when considering the vector components and integrating them end-to-end, it is clear that
yungman
The vector magnetic potential is given
[tex]\vec A=\frac{\mu I}{4\pi}\oint\frac{e^{-j\beta R_1}}{R_1}dl'[/tex]
After a few steps, the equation becomes:
[tex]\vec A=\frac{\mu I}{4\pi}e^{-j \beta R}\left[ (1+j\betaR)\oint\frac{dl'}{R_1}-j\beta\oint dl'\right][/tex]
The Book claim the second integral obviously vanishes!

I don't understand this. For a small loop, ##dl'=rd\phi##
[tex]\oint dl'=\int_0^{2\pi}rd\phi=2\pi r[/tex]

That is not zero by any stretch. Can anyone explain this?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi yungman! :smile:

A is a vector, and so is dl'

(and think "polygon" :wink:)

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
hi yungman! :smile:

A is a vector, and so is dl'

(and think "polygon" :wink:)

Thanks for the reply

So I have to integrate the vector in a closed loop and is zero?

Thanks

yes, "the vector" is just a bit of the loop

add them end-to-end (as in a polygon, like a vector triangle), and they obviously make zero :smile:

Thanks for your help Tim. I want to verify:
[tex]\oint d\vec l'=\int_0^{2\pi}\hat \phi rd\phi=2\pi r=\int_0^{2\pi}(-\hat x \sin\phi+\hat y \cos \phi)r d\phi[/tex]

Integrate sine and cosine from 0 to ##2\pi## are both zero. So the integral is zero.

Last edited:
(i'm ignoring the = 2πr = :wink:)

yeees :smile:

but you're assuming the loop is a circle, and my method works for any loop! o:)

Thanks, I understand that it works for non circle. My original question is a circle, that's why.

Thanks for your help.

Alan

FAQ: Question on derivation of potential of a small current loop

What is a small current loop?

A small current loop is a wire loop with a small amount of electric current flowing through it. It can also be visualized as a tiny coil or a circular loop of wire.

Why is it important to derive the potential of a small current loop?

Deriving the potential of a small current loop allows us to understand the behavior of electric currents and their effects on the surrounding environment. It also helps in the design and analysis of electrical circuits and devices.

What is the formula for calculating the potential of a small current loop?

The formula for calculating the potential of a small current loop is V = μ0*I*A/(2*R), where V is the potential, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, A is the area of the loop, and R is the distance from the center of the loop to the point where the potential is being measured.

What factors affect the potential of a small current loop?

The potential of a small current loop is affected by the strength of the current, the size of the loop, and the distance from the center of the loop to the point where the potential is being measured. It is also affected by the permeability of free space.

Can the potential of a small current loop be negative?

Yes, the potential of a small current loop can be negative. This indicates that the loop has a negative charge and is attracting positive charges towards it.

Back