Question on destructive and constructive interference

In summary, the conversation is discussing the problem of finding points of constructive interference between two speakers, A and B, emitting a frequency of 444Hz and located 3.50m apart. The speed of sound is 340m/s and speaker A is 1/4 of a period ahead of B due to signal delays. The equation dsinθ = (m+?)λ is used, where d is the distance between the speakers and λ is the wavelength calculated using v/f. The conversation also touches on the need to compensate for the initial phase difference and the relation between position and phase. Speaker B is trying to get Speaker A to understand the relation between the phase difference and position in order to solve the problem.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Two speakers A and B are 3.50m apart and each one is emitting a frequency of 444Hz. However because of signal delays, speaker A is 1/4 of a period ahead of B. Find all points relative to the centerline between A and B where there is constructive interference. Include angles on both sides of centerline, speed of sound is 340m/s

Homework Equations

dsinθ = (m+?)λ

d = 3.5m
λ = v/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I know there is a need to compensate for the initial 1/4 phase difference as the usual equation assumes both sources are in phase. I just don't know how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relation between position and phase?

DrClaude said:
What is the relation between position and phase?

Is it that any position where 2 waves are half a wavelength out of phase cancel while 2 that are in phase constructively interfere?

I mean for a single wave.

DrClaude said:
I mean for a single wave.

I apologize but I'm not quite sure of what you're getting at, could you elaborate?

You said you don't know how to compensate for the phase difference. I'm trying to get you to see the relation between the phase difference and position.

DrClaude said:
You said you don't know how to compensate for the phase difference. I'm trying to get you to see the relation between the phase difference and position.

I still can't quite get what you mean by position, apologies.

FAQ: Question on destructive and constructive interference

What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference occurs when two waves with equal but opposite amplitudes meet and cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in the overall amplitude of the resulting wave.

What is constructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with equal amplitudes and wavelengths meet and combine, resulting in an increase in the overall amplitude of the resulting wave.

What is the difference between destructive and constructive interference?

The main difference between destructive and constructive interference is the resulting amplitude of the combined waves. In destructive interference, the resulting amplitude decreases, while in constructive interference, the resulting amplitude increases.

What are some real-life examples of destructive interference?

Some real-life examples of destructive interference include noise-canceling headphones, where sound waves from outside are canceled out by the headphones, and noise-cancellation technology used in cars and buildings to reduce external noise.

How does destructive and constructive interference affect sound and light waves?

Destructive and constructive interference can affect sound and light waves in various ways, such as changing the loudness or brightness of the resulting wave, creating standing waves, and producing interference patterns. These effects are based on the amplitudes and wavelengths of the combined waves.

Back