Question on John Bell's Original Paper

• Thread starter 43arcsec
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary: In general, I think original papers can be a great educational resource, but I would recommend checking out more recent papers first to see if they're more concise and easier to follow. Thanks again for your input!In summary, Bell's original paper is a great source of information, but the math details can be simplified to make the article easier to follow.
43arcsec
Hi Forum, I am trying to follow the math in Bell's original paper, and I am getting tripped up on equation (14). Does anyone know the mathematic legerdemain Bell used to go from the first equation below to the 2nd?

[itex]

\begin{align}
P(\vec{a},\vec{b})-P(\vec{a},\vec{c})=-\int{d\lambda\rho(\lambda)[A(\vec{a},\lambda)A(\vec{b},\lambda)-A(\vec{a},\lambda)A(\vec{c},\lambda)]}
\\

=\int{d\lambda\rho(\lambda)A(\vec{a},\lambda)A(\vec{b},\lambda)[A(\vec{b},\lambda)A(\vec{c},\lambda)-1]}

\end{align}

[/itex]

Here is a link to the original paper:

http://www.drchinese.com/David/Bell.pdf

I hope I am not missing something trivial, but thanks for you help!

Physics news on Phys.org
43arcsec said:
Hi Forum, I am trying to follow the math in Bell's original paper, and I am getting tripped up on equation (14). Does anyone know the mathematic legerdemain Bell used to go from the first equation below to the 2nd?

[itex]

\begin{align}
P(\vec{a},\vec{b})-P(\vec{a},\vec{c})=-\int{d\lambda\rho(\lambda)[A(\vec{a},\lambda)A(\vec{b},\lambda)-A(\vec{a},\lambda)A(\vec{c},\lambda)]}
\\

=\int{d\lambda\rho(\lambda)A(\vec{a},\lambda)A(\vec{b},\lambda)[A(\vec{b},\lambda)A(\vec{c},\lambda)-1]}

\end{align}

[/itex]

Here is a link to the original paper:

http://www.drchinese.com/David/Bell.pdf

I hope I am not missing something trivial, but thanks for you help!

What you might be missing is that [itex]A(\vec{b},\lambda) = \pm 1[/itex].

So when you multiply it out:

[itex]A(\vec{a},\lambda) A(\vec{b},\lambda) [A(\vec{b},\lambda) A(\vec{c},\lambda) - 1][/itex]
[itex]= A(\vec{a},\lambda) \underbrace{(A(\vec{b},\lambda) A(\vec{b},\lambda))}_{= 1} A(\vec{c},\lambda) - A(\vec{a},\lambda) A(\vec{b},\lambda)][/itex]
[itex]= A(\vec{a},\lambda) A(\vec{c},\lambda) - A(\vec{a},\lambda) A(\vec{b},\lambda)][/itex]

Likes 1 person
Thanks Steve, that was perfect. No chance I was coming up with the multiply by 1 trick, although multiplying by one seems to be a favorite of theorists.

I have another problem with Bell's proof and wonder if you can help. In the derivation of (18) from (16) and (17), apparently the addition of the two, it appears (18) is incorrect:

[tex]
\begin{align}
| \bar{P}(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b})+\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b}| \leq \epsilon \text{ (16)} \\\
| \overline{\vec{a} \cdot \vec{b}}- \vec{a}\cdot\vec{b}| \leq \delta \text{ (17)}\\\
| \bar{P}(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b})+\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b}| \leq \delta+\epsilon \text{ (18)} \\\\\
\text{
it seems like (18) should be
}\\\\\
| \bar{P}(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b})+\overline{\vec{a} \cdot \vec{b}}| \leq \delta+\epsilon \text{ (revised 18)} \\\
\end{align}

[/tex]

I find it hard to believe this is a typo and much easier to believe I am missing something with the inequalities. Thanks again for you help.

I think it's a typo. There are other, more obvious typos in the paper, so it seems like it wasn't proofed especially well.

But I can't help but wonder why you want to go through Bell's original analysis; much more streamlined (and clear) analyses are available now. See, e.g., "Derivation of CHSH inequality" in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_theorem. (As explained in "CHSH inequality" in the same wikipedia article, Bell's inequality is a special case of CSHS.)

Avodyne said:
I think it's a typo.
I don't think it's a typo, as he uses eq. (18) as is to write eq. (20).

I think the confusion comes from thinking that the LHS of (16) and (17) are added together. My reading is simply that since
$$
| \bar{P}(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b})+\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b}| \leq \epsilon \quad \text{ (16)}
$$
a weaker inequality can be built using any ##\delta \geq 0##, i.e.,
$$
| \bar{P}(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b})+\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b}| \leq \delta+\epsilon \quad \text{ (18)}
$$
It just happens that by taking a specific ##\delta##,
$$
| \overline{\vec{a} \cdot \vec{b}}- \vec{a}\cdot\vec{b}| \leq \delta \quad \text{ (17)}
$$
he gets the contradiction (22) that is significant.

Yes, DrClaude, I believe you are correct: the equations are not added. That simple alternative just didn't occur to me.

Thanks for the link Avodyne, I will check it out. You may be right regarding Bell's paper, but in general I have usually found original papers to be an excellent educational source. Einstein's paper on a General Relativity is one of the best examples.

Thanks to both of you for your comments, I greatly appreciate it.

Bell's paper is most definitely worth reading for what he has to say about the result; it's just that the math details can be significantly simplified, so IMO they're not worth sweating over.

Related to Question on John Bell's Original Paper

1. What is John Bell's Original Paper?

John Bell's Original Paper, also known as "On the Einstein Podolsky Rosen Paradox", is a landmark paper published in 1964 by physicist John S. Bell. In this paper, Bell proposed a thought experiment and mathematical proof to challenge the interpretation of quantum mechanics known as "local realism".

2. What is the significance of John Bell's Original Paper?

John Bell's Original Paper is significant because it provided a way to test and potentially disprove the concept of local realism, which was a fundamental assumption in the field of quantum mechanics. This paper opened up new avenues for research and helped to shape our understanding of quantum mechanics and its implications.

3. What is the concept of "local realism" that John Bell's Original Paper challenges?

Local realism is the idea that physical properties of objects exist independently of being observed and that these properties can only be influenced by events that are in their direct vicinity. Bell's paper challenges this concept by showing that certain predictions of quantum mechanics cannot be explained by local realism.

4. How did John Bell's Original Paper impact the field of quantum mechanics?

John Bell's Original Paper had a significant impact on the field of quantum mechanics. It sparked further research and experiments that tested the principles of local realism and helped to shape our understanding of quantum mechanics. It also opened up new avenues for exploring the mysteries of the quantum world.

5. What are some real-world applications of John Bell's Original Paper?

While John Bell's Original Paper was primarily a theoretical and mathematical work, it has had implications for real-world technologies. For example, the concept of quantum entanglement, which Bell's paper helped to explain, is now being used in the development of quantum computers and secure communication systems.