Question on mirror and lens combinations

In summary, the question involves using the equation 1/do + 1/di = 1/f to solve for the image distance in a series of reflections. The first reflection occurs with a convex lens, creating a virtual image behind the lens. The second reflection occurs with a mirror, creating another virtual image to the right of the mirror. The final reflection occurs again with the convex lens, creating a real image at a distance of 53.3cm. The confusion lies in determining whether the object is in front or behind the mirror, but for this problem, the object is in front of the lens and therefore all reflections occur behind the lens.
BlueCerealBox

Homework Statement

The question is attached in the jpeg file.

Homework Equations

1/do + 1/di = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

First reflection : 1/100 + 1/di = 1/80 , di = 400cm ( To the right of the lens )

This means that the image created is a virtual image since it is behind the lens.

So for second reflection : -1/300 + 1/di = -1/50 , di = -60cm ( To the right of the mirror )

The image is virtual , therefore for last reflection : -1/160 + 1/di = 1/80 , di = 53.3cm

I can't seem to be able to get the answer , if I took the object distance for the last reflection as positive. I do get the answer. But it does not make sense to me.

I usually have problems with these kind of questions as I'm unsure where is infront or behind the mirror? Is this defined by the original real object that causes the reflections to occur?

Attachments

• LensMirror.jpg
    LensMirror.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 898
Physics news on Phys.org
BlueCerealBox said:

Homework Statement

The question is attached in the jpeg file.

Homework Equations

1/do + 1/di = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

First reflection : 1/100 + 1/di = 1/80 , di = 400cm ( To the right of the lens )

This means that the image created is a virtual image since it is behind the lens.

So for second reflection : -1/300 + 1/di = -1/50 , di = -60cm ( To the right of the mirror )

The image is virtual , therefore for last reflection : -1/160 + 1/di = 1/80 , di = 53.3cm

I can't seem to be able to get the answer , if I took the object distance for the last reflection as positive. I do get the answer. But it does not make sense to me.

I usually have problems with these kind of questions as I'm unsure where is infront or behind the mirror? Is this defined by the original real object that causes the reflections to occur?
Lenses refract light. And for this convex lens, the image formed will be real because the object distance is greater than the focal length.
Welcome to PF.

so i use a different sign convention than you , i take the center of the lens as origin and imagine a graph ,so at last reflection the object(the virtual image created by the mirror ) is to the right of the mirror so , i take the focal length of the convex lens as negative (if the center is origin the focal length is towards left so negative )
and the object distance is positive since it is to the right
by using the formula of lens 1/f = 1di - 1/do
i get 1/-80 = 1/v - 1/160
1/-80 + 1/160 = 1/v
after solving u get v = -160
so remember the sign conventions since the center is origin i got a negative value so the image lies to the left of the lens

Related to Question on mirror and lens combinations

1. What is the difference between a mirror and a lens?

A mirror is a smooth, flat surface that reflects light rays. It produces an image that is the same size and shape as the object being reflected. A lens, on the other hand, is a transparent material that refracts, or bends, light rays to produce an image.

2. Can a mirror and a lens be used together?

Yes, mirrors and lenses can be used together in combination to create different optical effects. For example, a concave mirror and a convex lens can be used to form a telescope, while a convex mirror and a concave lens can create a magnifying glass.

3. How do I calculate the focal length of a mirror and lens combination?

The focal length of a mirror or lens is the distance from the center of the mirror or lens to the point where light rays converge or appear to diverge. The focal length of a mirror can be calculated by dividing the radius of curvature by two, while the focal length of a lens can be calculated using the lens maker's formula.

4. What is the difference between a convex and concave mirror/lens?

A convex mirror or lens curves outward and causes light rays to spread out, resulting in a smaller, virtual image. A concave mirror or lens curves inward and causes light rays to converge, resulting in a larger, real image. These differences are due to the different ways convex and concave surfaces refract light.

5. How are mirrors and lenses used in everyday life?

Mirrors and lenses have a wide range of practical applications in our daily lives. For example, mirrors are used in cars to reflect light and allow drivers to see behind them, while lenses are used in eyeglasses to correct vision. They are also used in cameras, telescopes, and microscopes to capture and manipulate light for various purposes.