Question on moment distrobution with sway

• Thread starter nemesis24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, The speaker has a question about finding the vertical and horizontal components at point D on a frame with applied forces on the joints and an inclined AB and CD. They mention using the principle of total moments to solve the problem and ask for help from anyone who is familiar with disintegrating frame members to find normal, shear, and internal moments.
nemesis24
hello there i have this question that seems quite compilcated, i was hoping some one could help me into solving it.

basically i have a frame that can be seen in the diagram, i have to work out the vertical and horizontal components at point D. i was curious as to how i can do it.

i know it works on the principles of useing total moments = moments before sway + a(moments after sway) but i am a little concerned with the applied forces being on the joints themselves, along with the incline of both AB and CD - which makes it harder to find the orgin of rotation.

any help would be appricated thanks

Attachments

• problem 1.JPG
    problem 1.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 434
Engineering news on Phys.org
anyone?

if you are confused to disintegrate your frame member where a force on it you can cut your pins(joints) locations like in this http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4594/problem1gq1.jpg
http://g.imageshack.us/img221/problem1gq1.jpg/1/

and consider as these cuts are so close to joints and then cont. as you solve cut in any point of member where there are normal, shear and internal moments are exist

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Question on moment distrobution with sway

1. What is moment distribution with sway?

Moment distribution with sway is a structural analysis method used to determine the bending moments and deflections in a structure that has lateral or sway instability. It takes into account the stiffness and flexibility of the structure to accurately distribute the moments throughout the structure.

2. How is moment distribution with sway different from regular moment distribution?

Moment distribution with sway considers the effect of lateral instability in a structure, while regular moment distribution assumes the structure is stable. Moment distribution with sway also takes into account the flexibility of the structure, while regular moment distribution assumes the structure is rigid.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of moment distribution with sway?

The accuracy of moment distribution with sway is affected by the assumptions made about the structure, such as the type of supports, the amount of lateral sway, and the distribution of stiffness and flexibility throughout the structure. It is also affected by the accuracy of the input data and the complexity of the structure.

4. Can moment distribution with sway be used for all types of structures?

Moment distribution with sway is suitable for most types of structures, including frames, beams, and trusses. However, it may not be applicable for highly complex or irregular structures, and other structural analysis methods may need to be used.

5. What are the advantages of using moment distribution with sway?

Moment distribution with sway provides a more accurate and realistic analysis of a structure compared to regular moment distribution. It also takes into account the effects of lateral instability, which can greatly impact the behavior of a structure. Additionally, it can be easily implemented using computer software programs, making it a convenient and efficient method for structural analysis.