Question on optimization and limits

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of designing a rectangular poster with specific margins and a given amount of printing. The goal is to minimize the amount of paper used. A method is suggested, but there is confusion about the result. Another problem is briefly mentioned and a solution is provided.
semc
You are designing a rectangular poster to contain 50 cm2 of printing with margins of
4 cm each at the top and bottom and 2 cm at each side. What overall dimensions will
minimize the amount of paper used?

What i did was let the length and breath of the whole poster to be x and y so the area would be 50=(x-4)*(y-8) and perimeter=2(x-4)+2(y-8). Equate the area into the perimeter and differentiate Perimeter wrt y. However i got x=y which means its the maximum area?

Limit as x tends to 0 [tex]\frac{e^x + e^-^x -2}{1-cos2x}[/tex]
Applied Hopital rule once and got 0/2 however answer is 1/2. Am i correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
semc said:
You are designing a rectangular poster to contain 50 cm2 of printing with margins of
4 cm each at the top and bottom and 2 cm at each side. What overall dimensions will
minimize the amount of paper used?

What i did was let the length and breath of the whole poster to be x and y so the area would be 50=(x-4)*(y-8) and perimeter=2(x-4)+2(y-8). Equate the area into the perimeter and differentiate Perimeter wrt y. However i got x=y which means its the maximum area?
What does it mean to "equate the area into the perimeter"?

I would approach this in a different way by letting w and h represent the width and height, respectively of the printed area. From these definitiions you get wh = 50.

Now what you want to do is to minimize the area (not perimeter) of the overall piece of poster paper, so you want to minimize A = (w + 4)(h + 8). Use the other relationship to rewrite A as a function of only one variable, and then do your calculus magic.

The stuff below seems to be unrelated to this problem.
semc said:
Limit as x tends to 0 [tex]\frac{e^x + e^-^x -2}{1-cos2x}[/tex]
Applied Hopital rule once and got 0/2 however answer is 1/2. Am i correct?

for the 2nd problm... apply it once again...it will give the correct answer
after applyin it once it still gives 0/0 form...

Got it guys thanks

Related to Question on optimization and limits

What is optimization?

Optimization is the process of finding the best solution for a problem, given a set of constraints. It involves maximizing or minimizing a certain value, while taking into account various limitations or restrictions.

What are the different types of optimization?

There are several types of optimization, including linear optimization, nonlinear optimization, dynamic optimization, and heuristic optimization. Each type has its own specific techniques and algorithms for finding the optimal solution.

How is optimization used in science?

Optimization is used in science to find the best possible solutions for various problems and challenges. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and biology to optimize processes, systems, and designs.

What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence near a certain point, and it is an important concept in calculus and analysis.

How are optimization and limits related?

Optimization and limits are related in that optimization involves finding the best possible value for a function, while limits describe the behavior of a function at a specific point. In some cases, optimization problems can be solved by using limits and calculus techniques.