Question on parallel multi. theories

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinite universes and the possibility of traveling between them. The participants consider the idea that in an infinite number of universes, it is possible for someone to have found a way to travel between parallel universes and into ours. However, it is suggested that there may be impossible events even in infinite universes, and the concept of probability is also brought up. Additionally, one participant suggests that the professor may have misused the term "has happened" when discussing probability.
rpcarroll
Ok, I haven't studied the subject at all (yet), but a professor of mine was explaining some of the theories behind string, brane, etc. to me. So bear with me here; I'm confused by this idea that came into my head earlier:
If there are an infinite number of universes where every possible outcome has happened someplace in one of them... shouldn't something in one of them have found a way to travel between other parallel universes and into ours?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, n00b here too, just looking around.

Surely if there are infinite 'verses then technically there are infinite universes where that is possible, and even infinite universes where it has happened! :confused:

Maybe when they say 'infinite' they actually mean slightly less than infinite? :biggrin:

There can be impossible events even if there are infinite universes. For example, 1+1 = 2 in all universes. Similarly, it could and probably is the case that in every universe, travel to other universes is prohibited by the laws of physics.

rpcarroll said:
If there are an infinite number of universes where every possible outcome has happened someplace in one of them... shouldn't something in one of them have found a way to travel between other parallel universes and into ours?
Only if such a thing is a "possible outcome".

Incidentally, I'm accepting the premise is true only for the sake of argument. Really, I think your professor is just outlining some of the counterintuitive facts about probability when infinitely many samples are involved. And incidentally, I think he should have said "has happened with probability 1" rather than "has happened" -- probability 1 isn't the same thing as a guarantee!

Hi rpcarroll,

Too bad you're not in one of the universes where you ignore this part of your professor's lecture. However, maybe this is one of the universes in which it isn't on the exam anyway.

Related to Question on parallel multi. theories

1. What is parallel multi-theories?

Parallel multi-theories is an approach to scientific research that involves analyzing multiple theories or hypotheses simultaneously in order to gain a more comprehensive understanding of a particular phenomenon or problem.

2. How is parallel multi-theories different from traditional scientific methods?

Unlike traditional scientific methods that focus on testing one specific theory at a time, parallel multi-theories allows for the examination of multiple theories at once, providing a more holistic perspective and potentially revealing connections and patterns that may have been missed otherwise.

3. What are the benefits of using parallel multi-theories?

Parallel multi-theories can lead to more robust and reliable findings as it takes into account various perspectives and accounts for potential biases or limitations in individual theories. It also allows for a more nuanced understanding of complex phenomena.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to using parallel multi-theories?

One of the main challenges of parallel multi-theories is the time and resources required to analyze and integrate multiple theories. It also requires a deep understanding of each theory and how they may interact with each other. Additionally, it may be difficult to find a balance between the different theories and avoid contradictions or redundancies.

5. How can parallel multi-theories be applied in real-world research?

Parallel multi-theories can be applied in a variety of fields, such as psychology, sociology, and economics. It can be used to study complex social issues, devise interventions or policies, and inform decision-making. It can also be applied in the natural sciences to better understand complex systems and phenomena.