Question on Rudin Theorem 3.44 Inequality

• Thread starter jecharla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an inequality in Rudin's proof of a theorem, where given that |z| < 1, the following inequality is obtained: |(1-z^(m+1)) / (1-z)| <= 2 / (1-z). The conversation also discusses the use of the fact that |z| = 1 and concludes that |z^(m+1)| < 1 since |z| < 1. There is a suggestion to use LaTeX to write mathematics correctly and a guide is provided.
jecharla
I have a question about the last inequality Rudin uses in his proof of this theorem. Given that |z| < 1 he gets the inequality

|(1-z^(m+1)) / (1-z)| <= 2 / (1-z)

I think he is using the fact that |z| = 1, so

|(1-z^(m+1)) / (1-z)| <= (1 + |z^(m+1)|) / |1-z|

So i am guessing that

|z^(m+1)| < 1 since |z| < 1

But I don't know why this would be true?

Physics news on Phys.org
jecharla said:
I have a question about the last inequality Rudin uses in his proof of this theorem. Given that |z| < 1 he gets the inequality

|(1-z^(m+1)) / (1-z)| <= 2 / (1-z)

I think he is using the fact that |z| = 1, so

|(1-z^(m+1)) / (1-z)| <= (1 + |z^(m+1)|) / |1-z|

So i am guessing that

|z^(m+1)| < 1 since |z| < 1

But I don't know why this would be true?

Please, do USE Latex to write mathematics in this site!

[tex]\left|\frac{1-z^{m+1}}{1-z}\right|\leq \frac{|1|+|z|^{m+1}}{|1-z|}\leq\frac{1+1}{|1-z|}= \frac{2}{|1-z|}[/tex]

DonAntonio

Ps. Of course, [itex]\,|z|<1\Longrightarrow |z|^k<1\,\,\,\forall\,k\in\Bbb N[/itex]

FAQ: Question on Rudin Theorem 3.44 Inequality

1. What is the significance of Rudin Theorem 3.44 Inequality?

Rudin Theorem 3.44 Inequality is a fundamental theorem in real analysis that provides a powerful tool for proving convergence of sequences and series. It also has applications in calculus, differential equations, and other areas of mathematics.

2. How is Rudin Theorem 3.44 Inequality used in proofs?

Rudin Theorem 3.44 Inequality is used to show that a given sequence or series is convergent by providing an upper bound for the terms in the sequence or series. This upper bound is often easier to work with and can be used to show that the sequence or series converges.

3. Can Rudin Theorem 3.44 Inequality be applied to both real and complex numbers?

Yes, Rudin Theorem 3.44 Inequality can be applied to both real and complex numbers. However, the proof and application may differ slightly for complex numbers.

4. Are there any limitations to Rudin Theorem 3.44 Inequality?

One limitation of Rudin Theorem 3.44 Inequality is that it can only be applied to sequences and series with non-negative terms. It also requires that the terms in the sequence or series are non-increasing.

5. Are there any similar theorems to Rudin Theorem 3.44 Inequality?

Yes, there are other theorems that are similar to Rudin Theorem 3.44 Inequality, such as the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality and the Hölder's inequality. These theorems also provide upper bounds for sequences and series and have applications in various areas of mathematics.