Question on the Gauss' Law's Qenc

• Thread starter IsaacOh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gauss
In summary, Gauß' Law connects the volume integral over the divergence of the vector field with the integral of this vector field over the surface integral along the boundary of the volume. This law is used to calculate things like the electric flux density and the charge density inside a volume.
IsaacOh
I understand Gauss' Law is: Phi = integral(E)dA = Qenc/epsilon0

I never understood how you determine that Qenc. I know it varies from shape to shape. Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's simply the total charge enclosed by the Gaussian surface that you chose to integrate over on the left-hand side. If we assume that we are dealing with discrete charges, then it would be summation of the enclosed charges. Otherwise, more generally, it is the integration of the enclosed charge density. As such,

[tex] \int_\Gamma \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{S} = \frac{1}{\epsilon} \int_\Gamma \rho(\mathbf{r}) dS [/tex]

Welcome to PF!

Hi IsaacOh! Welcome to PF! :wink:
IsaacOh said:
I never understood how you determine that Qenc. I know it varies from shape to shape.

Qenc is simply the charge enclosed by whatever shape the ∫ is over

do you mean, what shape should you choose?

whatever is most convenient (ie, makes the maths simplest, eg because it cuts all the field lines at 0° or 90°)​

(do a google image search for Guass' law for some pictures)

Thanks Born2bwire and Tiny-Tim for replying! My question was how do you determine Qenc and Bor2bwire, I believe, answered that.

Well, there is a bit of confusion in this answer. First one should mention that this kind of reasoning boils down to the integral theorems of classical vector analysis or, in a more modern way in terms of alternating differential forms, to the general Stokes theorem.

Let's put it in the classical way of 3D Euclidean vector analysis since this is more intuitive and that's what's needed in E&M intro lectures. Gauß's Law connects the volume integral over the divergence of the vector field with the integral of this vector field over the surface integral along the boundary of the volume, i.e.,

[tex]\int_V \mathrm{d}^3 x \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{V} = \int_{\partial V} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F} \cdot \vec{V}.[/tex]

Here, the surface-element normal vectors have to be oriented such that they always point out of the volume you integrate over. This is a mathematical theorem valid for any sufficiently well-behaved vector fields, volumes and boundaries.

One application of this mathematical theorem in E&M is to use Gauß's Law of electrodynamics, which is one of the fundamental laws of electromagnetism, i.e., one of Maxwell's equations:

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{D}=\rho.[/tex]

Here [itex]\vec{D}[/itex] is the electric flux density and [itex]\rho[/itex] the charge density. Using Gauß's theorem by integrating over a volume clearly gives the integral form of this law:

[tex]\int_{V} \mathrm{d}^3 x \rho=\int_{\partial V} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F} \cdot \vec{D}.[/tex]

On the right-hand side you have, by definition of charge density, the charge enclosed in the volume, [itex]V[/itex], and on the right-hand side the electric flux through the boundary of this same volume. Of course, again you have to orient the suface-normal vectors out of this volume, i.e., the relative orientation of the boundary to the volume must be positive.

Related to Question on the Gauss' Law's Qenc

1. What is Gauss' Law's Qenc?

Gauss' Law's Qenc is a mathematical equation that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the total charge enclosed by that surface. It is one of the four Maxwell's equations that describe the behavior of electric fields.

2. How is electric flux defined?

Electric flux is defined as the electric field passing through a given area. It is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the area vector.

3. What is the significance of using a closed surface in Gauss' Law?

A closed surface is used in Gauss' Law because it allows us to consider the total charge enclosed by the surface, rather than the charge at a specific point. This makes it easier to calculate the electric flux and understand the behavior of electric fields in a given region.

4. Can Gauss' Law be applied to any shape or surface?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be applied to any shape or surface as long as it is a closed surface. This includes spheres, cubes, and even irregular shapes.

5. How is the total charge enclosed by a surface calculated in Gauss' Law?

The total charge enclosed by a surface is calculated by taking the integral of the electric field over that surface. This integral is represented by the Qenc term in the Gauss' Law equation.