Question regarding ammeters & galvanometers

• Thread starter dazed99
  • Start date
In summary, to find the current that produces full-scale deflection on an ammeter with a sensitivity of 10000 Ohm/V, you will need to use the equation (Ir)(Rsh) = (Ig)r, where Rsh is equal to the sensitivity of the ammeter. Set Ig equal to the maximum current that the galvanometer can handle and solve for Ir to find the current needed to produce full-scale deflection on the galvanometer.
dazed99

Homework Statement

The question I'm having trouble with is: An ammeter has a sensitivity of 10000 Ohm/V. What current passing through the galvanometer produces full-scale deflection?

Homework Equations

No idea! Only equation somewhat relevant I've seen is (Ir)(Rsh) = (Ig)r

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm missing information. How can I figure this out with just the 10000 Ohm/V provided? Don't I need more to work with?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

To solve this problem, you will need to use the equation you mentioned: (Ir)(Rsh) = (Ig)r. This equation relates the current passing through the galvanometer (Ig) to the current passing through the shunt resistor (Ir), the resistance of the shunt resistor (Rsh), and the resistance of the galvanometer (r).

In this case, the sensitivity of the ammeter (10000 Ohm/V) is equal to the resistance of the shunt resistor (Rsh). This means that when 1 V is applied to the ammeter, 10000 Ohm of resistance is added to the circuit.

To find the current that produces full-scale deflection, you will need to set Ig equal to the maximum current that the galvanometer can handle (usually indicated on the instrument). Then, solve for Ir using the equation above. This will give you the current that needs to pass through the shunt resistor in order to produce full-scale deflection on the galvanometer.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

I would suggest that you first determine the type of galvanometer being used. Different types of galvanometers have different sensitivities and therefore, require different equations to determine full-scale deflection. Once you have determined the type of galvanometer being used, you can then use the appropriate equation to solve for the current needed to produce full-scale deflection.

Additionally, it may be helpful to have more information about the circuit in which the ammeter and galvanometer are being used. This could include the resistance of the circuit, the voltage being applied, and the type of current (AC or DC). All of these factors can affect the calculation of the current needed for full-scale deflection.

In general, the equation you mentioned (Ir)(Rsh) = (Ig)r is used for a shunt-type galvanometer, where Ir is the current passing through the shunt resistor, Rsh is the shunt resistor's resistance, Ig is the current passing through the galvanometer, and r is the galvanometer's sensitivity. If this is the type of galvanometer being used, you may need to use this equation along with the given sensitivity of the ammeter to solve for the current needed for full-scale deflection.

Overall, it is important to have all the necessary information and to use the appropriate equations when solving problems involving ammeters and galvanometers. If you are still unsure, I would recommend consulting with a teacher or tutor for further assistance.

Related to Question regarding ammeters & galvanometers

1. What is the difference between an ammeter and a galvanometer?

An ammeter is a type of electrical meter that measures the flow of current in a circuit, while a galvanometer is a type of instrument used to detect and measure small currents. The main difference between the two is that an ammeter is designed to handle larger currents and has a lower resistance, while a galvanometer is more sensitive to small currents and has a higher resistance.

2. How do you use an ammeter and a galvanometer?

To use an ammeter, you must first connect it in series with the circuit you want to measure. This means that the current flows through the ammeter, allowing it to measure the amount of current in the circuit. To use a galvanometer, you must first connect it in parallel with the circuit. This allows the galvanometer to detect the current and display it on a scale.

3. Can an ammeter be used as a galvanometer and vice versa?

Technically, an ammeter can be used as a galvanometer by adjusting the scale and adding a series resistor to increase its sensitivity. However, this is not recommended as it may damage the ammeter. A galvanometer cannot be used as an ammeter because it does not have the capacity to measure larger currents.

4. How do you calibrate an ammeter or a galvanometer?

To calibrate an ammeter or a galvanometer, you must first determine its sensitivity, which is the amount of current needed to produce a full-scale deflection on the instrument. This can be done by using a known current source and adjusting the scale until the instrument shows the correct reading. The instrument can then be calibrated using this value as a reference.

5. What are the common uses of ammeters and galvanometers?

Ammeters are commonly used in electrical circuits to measure the flow of current, while galvanometers are used in scientific experiments and instrumentation to detect and measure small currents. Both instruments are also used in various industries for quality control and testing purposes.