Question regarding direction of torque

In summary, when replacing a force and couple system with an equivalent resultant force and couple moment acting at point O, it is important to consider the direction of the moment arm in addition to the direction of the force. The sign of the moment arm plays a role in determining the direction of the moment, which is not solely determined by the direction of the force.
Permanence

Homework Statement

Replace the force and couple system shown by an equivalent resultant force and couple moment acting at point O.
fa5b2eb156af93fdd4b99162c0dd8253.png

The solution being:
25f7811887d456ec9f41a56c915e9d17.png

I understand the force summation, but I'm a bit confused about the direction for the moment summation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how they determined which components had positive or negative moments. The x components on the two forces are in the same direction, but the moment of force is positive for one and negative for the other. I thought it would have been:
(3kN)sin(30)(0.2m) - (3kN)cos(30)(0.1) - (3/5)(5 kN)(0.1m) - (4/5)(5 kN)(0.5m) - (4kN)(0.2m)

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the problem statement, positive moments are taken counterclockwise w.r.t. point O.

The moments of the horizontal components of the two force vectors have the opposite sign because they are applied on different sides of the x-axis. It does take a certain amount of visualization to see how forces will create moments. After all, the magnitude of a moment is the product of the force and the distance which this force acts from the axis of rotation,

M = F * d.

The direction of the force is not the sole determinant of the direction of the moment: the sign of the moment arm d also plays a role.

Likes 1 person
Thank you for the prompt response SteamKing. I had a feeling that distance had some role, but I was under the erroneous impression that it either relied on distance or the force. I'll reattempt the problem now.

Edit:
It took me awhile to get it. I had always treated the distance to be a scalar without direction. I've gotten the hang of it by applying by negating what I know would would take place in the first quadrant.

Last edited:

Related to Question regarding direction of torque

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically denoted by the symbol "τ" and is measured in units of newton-meters (Nm).

2. What is the direction of torque?

The direction of torque is perpendicular to both the axis of rotation and the force causing the rotation. It follows the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the axis of rotation, and the fingers curl in the direction of the force.

3. How is torque related to force and distance?

Torque is directly proportional to both the magnitude of the force and the distance between the force and the axis of rotation. This means that increasing either the force or the distance will result in an increase in torque.

4. Can torque change direction?

Yes, torque can change direction if either the force or the axis of rotation changes. For example, if the force is applied at a different angle, the direction of torque will also change.

5. How is torque used in everyday life?

Torque is used in many everyday activities, such as opening a door, riding a bike, or using a wrench. It is also an important concept in engineering and physics, as it helps understand the rotational motion of objects and how to design machines and structures that can withstand torque forces.