Question regarding Michaelis-menten plot and equation

• Thread starter wh00pwh00p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plot
In summary, you should try to find a value of J for which the solution in the plot matches your chosen value of J.
wh00pwh00p

Homework Statement

I have a michaelis-menten plot and I need to see if it fits the chemical rate equation.

Homework Equations

J=JMAX ( / KM + )

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get values for the entire equation from the plot. My idea was to choose a value of J and insert the relevant values into the equation. then compare the solution to my chosen value of J. Does this make sense? i have a feeling there is some major mathematical flaw somewhere!

Physics news on Phys.org
wh00pwh00p said:

Homework Statement

I have a michaelis-menten plot and I need to see if it fits the chemical rate equation.

Not sure what that means, does it mean you have some experimental points?

Homework Equations

J=JMAX ( / (KM + )

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get values for the entire equation from the plot. My idea was to choose a value of J and insert the relevant values into the equation. then compare the solution to my chosen value of J. Does this make sense? i have a feeling there is some major mathematical flaw somewhere!

For a reasonably good idea at least, what is J when S is large, S>>Km ?

Although this is not usually recommended for fitting the curve.

I can't believe they have thrown this task at you and nowhere in your handouts or books is there any idea of how you home in on these constants. It is in almost every My First Book Of Biochemistry.

But if you really have to work it out, you are supposed to transform your equation into one of several forms where you can plot one parameter calculated from the experiments against another and the result is a straight line if your equation is obeyed. You then find - calculate with a scientific calculator - the straight line that best fits the points. However if you don't know how to do this best fit, drawing the best line by eye with ruler is (secret) just as good for now, though frowned on by academics and journals of a certain level.

FAQ: Question regarding Michaelis-menten plot and equation

1. What is a Michaelis-Menten plot and equation?

The Michaelis-Menten plot and equation are tools used in enzyme kinetics to model the rate of a reaction as a function of substrate concentration. It is named after biochemists Leonor Michaelis and Maud Menten who developed this concept in 1913.

2. How is a Michaelis-Menten plot constructed?

A Michaelis-Menten plot is constructed by plotting the initial reaction rate (V) against the substrate concentration ([S]). The resulting curve is hyperbolic in shape and the maximum rate of the reaction (Vmax) and the substrate concentration at which the reaction rate is half of Vmax (Km) can be determined from the plot.

3. What does the Michaelis-Menten equation represent?

The Michaelis-Menten equation represents the relationship between reaction rate and substrate concentration. It states that the reaction rate (V) is equal to the maximum rate (Vmax) multiplied by the substrate concentration ([S]) divided by the substrate concentration at half of Vmax (Km).

4. What is the significance of the Michaelis-Menten plot and equation?

The Michaelis-Menten plot and equation are important tools in enzyme kinetics as they allow for the determination of kinetic parameters such as Vmax and Km. These parameters can provide insight into the efficiency and specificity of an enzyme and can be used to compare different enzymes or enzyme variants.

5. Are there any assumptions or limitations associated with the Michaelis-Menten plot and equation?

Yes, the Michaelis-Menten plot and equation are based on several assumptions such as a constant enzyme concentration, a single substrate and a steady-state condition. Additionally, the plot and equation may not accurately represent the reaction kinetics in cases where the substrate concentration is very low or very high compared to Km.