Question Related to Solubility and Common Ion Effect

In summary, the question is asking for the molar solubility of AgCl in 0.1M HCl. The Ksp value for AgCl is 1.8x10-10. After setting up the problem, the resulting answer for molar solubility is 1.8x10-9. This value is larger than the Ksp, which means that AgCl will be more easily dissolved in HCl. However, the presence of a common ion (Cl-) may decrease the solubility of AgCl.
chembloke
So the question asks - What is molar solubility of AgCl in 0.1M HCl?

Ksp = [Ag+][Cl-] ----> Ksp = 1.8x10-10

After setting up the problem we get...

Ksp = (x)(0.1 + x)
1.8x10-10 = (x)(0.1)
1.8x10-9 = (x)

So the resulting answer is a Molar Solubility of 1.8x10-9, which to me is less negative than the Ksp, right? So with that being said, because it is less negative, and more positive than the Ksp, does this mean that AgCl will be more easily dissolved in HCl. Because a common ion is present, I would AgCl dissolves less because Cl is already in solution.

Anyway, I am a bit confused, maybe I just have things backwards. Please help, thank you very much.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you use [Ag] as the molar solubility of AgCl, then the solubility of plain 'ol AgCl in distilled water is ... what? Is it 1.8X10-10?

Hint: x2 = 1.8X10-10

chembloke said:
Molar Solubility of 1.8x10-9, which to me is less negative than the Ksp, right? So with that being said, because it is less negative, and more positive than the Ksp

I have no idea what you mean by calling all these numbers "more positive" and "more negative". Apparently you mean something, but the wording you used makes no sense. All these numbers are positive. They are larger and smaller, but not "more positive" nor "more negative".

Related to Question Related to Solubility and Common Ion Effect

1. What is solubility?

Solubility is the measure of a substance's ability to dissolve in a particular solvent at a specific temperature and pressure.

2. How does temperature affect solubility?

In general, solubility increases with increasing temperature for solid solutes, but decreases with increasing temperature for gaseous solutes.

3. What is the common ion effect?

The common ion effect is when the presence of a common ion in a solution decreases the solubility of a salt. This is because the common ion causes a shift in the equilibrium of the salt's dissolution reaction, reducing the amount of dissolved salt in the solution.

4. How does the common ion effect impact solubility?

The common ion effect reduces the solubility of a salt by decreasing the concentration of solvated ions in the solution. This is due to the equilibrium shift caused by the common ion.

5. Can the common ion effect be used to increase solubility?

Yes, the common ion effect can be used to increase solubility in some cases. This can be achieved by removing the common ion from the solution, which allows more of the salt to dissolve due to the equilibrium shift. However, this is not always effective and depends on the specific solute and solvent involved.