Question to aid my science fair research

In summary, the conversation discusses a science fair project that aims to find the relationship between skid distance and cone length. The experiment involved using paper cones of varying lengths and recording the skid distance of a marble rolling into the cone. The data showed a direct relationship between cone length and skid distance. The individual is seeking ideas for further research and considers the weight of the cone in relation to the marble's weight. However, they are hesitant to introduce too many variables and are primarily focused on the length of the cone.
oooo
I am doing a science fair project in which I am trying to find the relationship between skid distance and cone length. In class we used paper cones which were lined up at the bottom of a ramp (as seen in the attached image) and a marble was released. The marble then, after rolling, entered the paper cone and skid distance of the cone was recorded. So, for science fair, I made different length cones between 10 and 30 cm and through my data I saw a direct relationship between the length of the cone and the skid distance. My only question is why does this occur? I need some ideas as to where to start my research, if anyone knows and could help. THANKS!

Attachments

• skid distance.gif
    skid distance.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 543
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the weight of the paper cone significant when compared to the weight of the marble?

- Warren

I believe that the mass of the cone is less than the mass of the marble, though I have not weighed them. Would that be a good thing to do?

However, I do not want to introduce too many variables. I am mainly focused on the length of the paper cone as opposed to its mass.

Last edited:
You're asking why the effect occurs, aren't you? The mass of cone is certainly relevant; the marble has to accelerate the mass of the cone, and the mass of the cone contributes to greater friction across the table.

- Warren

thank you!

Related to Question to aid my science fair research

1. What is the purpose of a science fair project?

The purpose of a science fair project is to explore a scientific question or hypothesis through research, experimentation, and analysis. It allows students to develop critical thinking skills, learn about the scientific method, and present their findings to others.

2. What makes a good science fair project?

A good science fair project is one that is well-planned, follows the scientific method, and addresses a specific research question. It should have a clear hypothesis, include a detailed procedure with controlled variables, and produce measurable and reliable data.

3. How do I choose a topic for my science fair project?

When choosing a topic for a science fair project, it's important to consider your interests, resources, and available time. You can also look for inspiration from current events, your textbooks, or by talking to your teacher or a scientist in your field of interest.

4. What are some tips for conducting a successful science fair experiment?

To conduct a successful science fair experiment, make sure to carefully follow your procedure, keep accurate records of your data, and analyze your results using appropriate mathematical and statistical methods. It's also important to have a backup plan in case something goes wrong during the experiment.

5. How do I present my science fair project?

There are many ways to present a science fair project, such as a research paper, a poster, or a presentation. Whichever method you choose, make sure to clearly communicate your question, hypothesis, procedure, results, and conclusions. Use visual aids, such as graphs or diagrams, to help explain your findings.