Question: What Determines the Number of Turns in a Transformer's Secondary Coil?

• Thread starter Physics8944
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, a small transformer with 1200 turns in the primary coil is used to power a appliance that has a output voltage of 6V. The label on the transformer says that the input is 5W at 120V. What will be the output power of the transformer?
Physics8944
Transformer HELP!

A small transformer with 1200 turns In the primary coil is used to power a appliance that has a output voltage of 6V. The label o the transformer says that the input is 5W at 120V. What will be the output power of the transformer?

Given: V output= 0.6*10V (6V)
V output= 3.0*10^2 mA
Required: P Output
Analysis: P=IV
Solution: 3.0*10^2mA *0.6*10V
= 1.8*10^3W will it be the output power of the transformer?

B: Will the secondary coil have more, fewer or the same number of turns as the primary coil? Why?
It will have fewer turns.

Physics news on Phys.org

Physics8944 said:
A small transformer with 1200 turns In the primary coil is used to power a appliance that has a output voltage of 6V. The label o the transformer says that the input is 5W at 120V. What will be the output power of the transformer?

V output= 3.0*10^2 mA
Solution: 3.0*10^2mA *0.6*10V
= 1.8*10^3W will it be the output power of the transformer?

B: Will the secondary coil have more, fewer or the same number of turns as the primary coil? Why?
It will have fewer turns.
The transformer will have fewer turns in the secondary windings, so you're right there, but I believe you're way off in everything else. You're given that Vin = 120 V and Vout = 6V, so this is obviously a 20:1 stepdown transformer.

Since you are given that Vout = 6V, how can you say this right after your given V out?
Physics8944 said:
V output= 3.0*10^2 mA
The units of voltage are volts, not amps or milliamps. How did you come up with 300 mA for the output voltage?

Aside from any power losses due to internal resistance in the windings, the power in should be equal to the power out. I am assuming that the intent of this problem is to ignore internal resistance. What changes are the voltage and current. If the voltage is stepped down by a factor of 20, the current will be stepped up by a factor of 20.

Since this is a stepdown transformer, the number of windings in the secondary should be 1/20 of the number of windings in the primary.

I revised it :
I output= 300 mA or (300*10^-3)
Solution: 300*10^-3A *0.6*10V
= 1.8W will be the output power of the transformer?
is this correct?

Where are you getting your Ioutput? There is no mention of current in your problem description.
Physics8944 said:
The power into the transformer should be essentially the same as the power out of it. What changes are the current and voltage.

OMG! I missed the part of the Q, Here is the it:
"a appliance that has an output curret of 300mA & an output voltage of 6V. The label on the transformer says that the input is 5W at 120V. What will be the output power of the transformer? "

Here is what you have said over the course of this thread:
Physics8944 said:
Physics8944 said:
a appliance that has an output curret of 300mA & an output voltage of 6V. The label on the transformer says that the input is 5W at 120V. What will be the output power of the transformer?
Your description is not clear as to what is the output of the transformer and what is the input to the appliance.

An appliance should not have an output current and an output voltage. The transformer takes line voltage (120 V) at some number of amps and steps it up or down to an output voltage at some different number of amps. The appliance takes as input the voltage and current (amps) produced by the transformer.

Please provide the exact, word-for-word problem description.

HI! Here is the exact word-to-word problem:
Q3: A samll transformer with 1200 turns in the primary coil is used to power a portable tape player that has an output current of 300 mA and an output voltage of 6.0V. The label on the transformer says that the input is 5W at 120V, if there were 1200 turns on the primary coil,
a) What is the output of the transformer?
b) Will the secondary coil have, more, fewer, or the same # of turns? Why?
(My answers are same that I have posted last)
Thanks alot!

This probably isn't word-for-word (the actual problem probably doesn't have "samll" in it), but it's close enough.
Notice that the problem does not ask for the output power of the transformer. As I said earlier, the input power and output power are going to be essentially the same. The only things changing are the input and output voltages and the input and output currents.

Since the output voltage on the transformer is 6V and the input voltage is 120V, this is a 20:1 stepdown transformer. The current will be stepped up by a factor of 20. If the output current of the transformer is 300mA what will be the input current to the tape player?

For the windings in the secondary coil, yes, there will be fewer turns, namely 60, which is 1/20th of 1200.

SORRY:(
I have actually again missed 1 word in part a of the Q, so I am writing it again:
a) What is the output power of the transformer?

b) Given: V primary = 120V
N primary 1200 turns
V secondary 6 v
Required: n secondary
Analysis: V1 N2= V2 N1
N2= V2* N1/V1
Solution: N2= 6V*1200 turns /120V
= 60 turns.

If the transformer is an "ideal" transformer, power in = power out, so the output power is also 5W. The information in this problem leads me to believe that what you're working with is an ideal transformer.

FAQ: Question: What Determines the Number of Turns in a Transformer's Secondary Coil?

What is a transformer and how does it work?

A transformer is a device that is used to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another through electromagnetic induction. It consists of two or more coils of wire, known as the primary and secondary windings, that are wrapped around a core made of iron or other magnetic material. When an alternating current (AC) passes through the primary winding, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces a voltage in the secondary winding. This voltage can then be stepped up or down depending on the number of windings in each coil.

What is the purpose of a transformer?

The main purpose of a transformer is to change the voltage and current levels of an electrical circuit. This is necessary for efficient transmission and distribution of electricity, as different devices and appliances require different voltage levels to function properly. Transformers are also used to isolate different parts of a circuit, to reduce or eliminate noise and interference, and to provide electrical safety by separating high voltage from low voltage circuits.

What are the different types of transformers?

There are several types of transformers, including step-up transformers, step-down transformers, isolation transformers, autotransformers, and distribution transformers. Step-up transformers increase voltage while decreasing current, while step-down transformers do the opposite. Isolation transformers provide electrical isolation between circuits, autotransformers have a single winding that serves as both the primary and secondary, and distribution transformers are used to step down high voltage transmission lines to lower voltage levels for use in homes and businesses.

What are the common problems with transformers?

Some common problems with transformers include overheating, insulation failure, and winding short circuits. Overheating can be caused by excessive current or poor ventilation, which can lead to insulation breakdown and short circuits. Insulation failure can occur due to aging and environmental factors, resulting in electrical leakage and potential safety hazards. Winding short circuits can be caused by physical damage or manufacturing defects, and can result in loss of power or even fire.

How can I troubleshoot a transformer problem?

If you suspect a problem with your transformer, the first step is to visually inspect it for any signs of physical damage or overheating. You can also use a multimeter to test the voltage and continuity of the windings. If there are any issues, it is best to consult a professional electrician or contact the manufacturer for further assistance. It is important to never attempt to repair a transformer yourself, as it can be dangerous and may also void any warranties.

Back