Question with associated uncertainty

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of pulsars as a time standard and solving a problem involving the time it takes for a pulsar to rotate 1 million times. The main point is that the uncertainty in the measurement is very small and can be ignored when calculating the final answer. It is important to understand accuracy and error propagation in experimental science.
kevinf
i am having problems with this problem

Time standards are now based on atomic clocks. A promising second standard is based on pulsars, which are rotating neutron stars (highly compact stars consisting only of neutrons). Some rotate at a rate that is highly stable, sending out a radio beacon that sweeps briefly across Earth once with each rotation, like a lighthouse beacon. Suppose a pulsar rotates once every 1.572 806 448 872 75 +/-5 ms, where the trailing +/-5 indicates the uncertainty in the last decimal place (it does not mean +/-5 ms).

(b) How much time does the pulsar take to rotate 1.0 * 10^6 times? (Give your answer to at least 4 decimal places.)

i converted 1.0e6 to ms by multiplying it to the 1.572 806 448 872 75 and then multiplied it to seconds (thats what they want the answer in), but i keep getting the wrong answer. is it because i didn't consider the +/-5. if so how would i do it

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the uncertainty is such a small part of the value you can consider it to just be a multiplicative factor.
Think what percentage of the value the error is, now you answer will have the same error.
eg, if I measure a part to be 1000 +/5 mm and I have a 100 of them the overal length s 100,000 +/- 500mm

but in the question it says it doesn't mean +/- ms though

anyways, any idea on how to do b

I was just using whole numbers to simplify the explanation.
If you have a measurement of 1.000 with an uncertainty of 5 in the last place that is just
1.000 +- 0.005 then you have a measurement with an uncertainty of 1 in 1.000/0.005 or 1 in 200 or 0.5%
So if multiply or divide this number to get your final answer that will also have an uncertainty of 0.5%.

The time to rotate 1 million periods is just 1.572 806 448 872 75 * 1million or 1 572 806. 448 872 75 but since they ask for 4 decimal places 1 572 806. 448 9 , you can ignore the uncertainty because it is much less than the number of decimal places you have given.

I know this seems a bit silly and pointless but knowing about what accuracy you should quote and how errors propogate is the most important thing in any experimental science.
It really is vital to get a good understanding of it.

yeah that's the answer that i got before too but it wasn't right

nvm i forgot to convert to sec which i forgot to post in my original question

so the associated uncertainty would be 1.572 806 448 872 75 / .00000000000005 seconds?

Related to Question with associated uncertainty

1. What is a question with associated uncertainty?

A question with associated uncertainty is a type of scientific inquiry that acknowledges the limitations and potential errors of the research or data. It involves posing a question and acknowledging that there may be uncertainty in the answer due to various factors such as sample size, measurement error, or bias.

2. How is uncertainty incorporated into a scientific question?

Uncertainty can be incorporated into a scientific question by specifying the level of confidence or margin of error for the potential answer. This can be done by including phrases such as "within a 95% confidence interval" or "plus or minus 2%". It is important to clearly state the uncertainty associated with the question to ensure accurate interpretation of the results.

3. Why is it important to consider uncertainty in scientific questions?

Considering uncertainty in scientific questions is important because it reflects the reality that no research or data is perfect. By acknowledging uncertainty, scientists can better understand the limitations of their findings and make more accurate interpretations and conclusions. It also allows for more transparent and reproducible research.

4. How can scientists minimize uncertainty in their research?

Scientists can minimize uncertainty in their research by carefully designing their studies, using appropriate sample sizes, and using precise and accurate measurement techniques. They can also minimize bias by using randomization and blinding methods. Additionally, conducting multiple trials or replications can help reduce uncertainty by providing more data points.

5. How does uncertainty impact the overall validity and reliability of scientific findings?

Uncertainty can impact the validity and reliability of scientific findings by introducing potential errors into the data or research. If uncertainty is not properly acknowledged and accounted for, it can lead to inaccurate conclusions and potentially weaken the overall validity and reliability of the findings. However, by acknowledging and addressing uncertainty, scientists can strengthen the validity and reliability of their research.