Question with respect to a Max Planck article

In summary, the conversation discusses the book "The Dreams that Stuff is Made of" by Stephen Hawking and the first article by Max Planck titled "On the Distribution of Energy in the Normal Spectrum." The article introduces the concept of entropy and the formula SN = k log W + constant, where S represents the average entropy of a single resonator and N is the set of identical resonators. The constant k is Boltzmann's constant and serves as a proportionality constant to make the statistical and thermodynamic formulations of entropy equivalent. The conversation also includes a request for references to better understand the concept of probability and the elements in the formula. The recommended resource is Kittel and Kroemer's "Thermal Physics."
Phillip
This is not a homework problem, this is a question borne out of self-interest.

I picked up the book "The Dreams that Stuff is Made of" by Stephen Hawking:
(https://www.amazon.com/dp/0762434341/?tag=pfamazon01-20 )

and read the first article by Max Planck: "On the Distribution of Energy in the Normal Spectrum."
(The article can be found here: http://theochem.kuchem.kyoto-u.ac.jp/Ando/planck1901.pdf )

Just reading this article without understanding the formulas is surely not enough and my question is what all of the symbols mean in (3) of the article: SN = k log W + constant

S -> the average entropy of a single resonator
Subscript N -> the set of identical resonators

Now, log W is supposed to denote the probability of a set system of entropy existing if I understood this part correctly. My specific questions are:

What purpose does the k serve in front of log W?
What purpose does the +constant serve?
Why use log W to denote the probability of a set system of entropy existing?

If anyone has read this article, or chooses to do so before responding, could you please point me towards some references that might assist me in understanding probability and the rest of the elements in this formula?

Thank you for your time

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
W is the number of "ways" or elementary configurations the system of resonators can be in (i.e., the number of ways the energy quanta can be distributed among all the N rasonators).

k is Boltzmann's constant. It serves as a constant of proportionality so that the statistical formulation of the entropy and the thermodynamic formulation of the entropy are equivalent.

As far as useful references go, I think pretty much any upper-level undergraduate textbook on statistical mechanics and thermodynamics will cover how to derive the blackbody spectrum. I am particularly partial to Kittel and Kroemer's "Thermal Physics".

Likes vanhees71
Thank you very much for your response as I now know where and what to look for in my university library. I checked the reference website and we have this text by Kittel and Kroemer. Thank you once again for the response.

Related to Question with respect to a Max Planck article

1. What is the significance of Max Planck's work?

Max Planck's work revolutionized the field of physics and laid the foundation for quantum mechanics. He introduced the concept of quantization, which states that energy is not continuous but instead exists in discrete packets called quanta. This discovery led to a better understanding of the behavior of atoms and molecules, and had a profound impact on many areas of science and technology.

2. What is the Planck constant?

The Planck constant, denoted by the symbol "h", is a fundamental constant in physics that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It was first introduced by Max Planck in his study of blackbody radiation and has since been used in many equations and theories in quantum mechanics. Its value is approximately 6.626 x 10^-34 joule-seconds.

3. How did Max Planck's work challenge classical physics?

Max Planck's discovery of quantization challenged the classical physics belief that energy was continuous and could take on any value. It also contradicted the well-established wave theory of light, leading to the development of the particle-wave duality concept. Planck's work ultimately paved the way for a new understanding of the microscopic world that defied classical laws and principles.

4. What is the significance of Planck's constant in modern technology?

The Planck constant is a crucial component in many modern technologies, including semiconductors, lasers, and solar cells. It is also used in the development of advanced medical imaging techniques, such as MRI machines. The precise measurement and understanding of the Planck constant have allowed for the development of these technologies, making them essential in our daily lives.

5. How did Max Planck's work impact the scientific community?

Max Planck's work not only revolutionized the field of physics but also had a significant impact on the scientific community as a whole. His research laid the foundation for the development of quantum mechanics, which has led to numerous advancements in various fields of science. Planck's work also influenced and inspired many other scientists, including Albert Einstein, who built upon his theories to develop the theory of relativity.