Questions About Acceleration and Jerk in Orbits

In summary, the conservation of energy states that the energy of a system remains constant over time. It is a fundamental law of physics.
AdrianGriff
In orbits it is said that ##\vec a \cdot \vec a' = |a||a'|##

How is this possible? Two vectors multiply to get scalars, and yet we cannot do the dot product literally because we do not know either of the components of ##\vec a## or ##\vec a'##.

Nor does the Angle Between Vectors Formula work because
$$ \vec a \cdot \vec a' = |a||a'| cos (\theta)$$

And if the acceleration vector is towards the center of the orbit, and jerk, or ##a'## is orthogonal to ##a## and tangent to the circle, opposite of ##v##, then ##\theta = \pi/2##. And if that is the case, then ##cos (\pi/2) = 0##, and as such, ##\vec a \cdot \vec a' ≠ |a||a'|## but rather ##\vec a \cdot \vec a' = 0##

So, how is it possible that ##\vec a \cdot \vec a' = |a||a'|##?

Thank you for your help!
- Adrian

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is not generally true. Are there any additional assumptions you have forgotten to mention? What type of orbit are you referring to?

Orodruin said:
This is not generally true. Are there any additional assumptions you have forgotten to mention? What type of orbit are you referring to?
Well this is only a small step in deriving the conservation of mechanical/orbital energy, ##ξ## provided in The Fundamentals of Astrodynamics by Roger R. Bate, But the only extra information that I can think that would be important is that:
1) The orbit is perfectly circular
2) There is no ##Δmass## of the satellite orbiting

For a circular orbit it is certainly not true, as you have already concluded.

Orodruin said:
For a circular orbit it is certainly not true, as you have already concluded.
Could you invest a bit of time into helping me understand this question? I don't mean to ask too much, but this is a pestering and burning question. Perhaps it is too out of my grasp (I am only 18, still in high school), but regardless, I would like to know why it is the way it is. I could send you the link to an online PDF version of the book so you could see what is going on in more detail?

If not that is fine, I've just been hung up on this idea for days.

AdrianGriff said:
Could you invest a bit of time into helping me understand this question?
It seems like a straightforward application of the work-energy theorem.

AdrianGriff said:
I could send you the link to an online PDF version of the book so you could see what is going on in more detail?

If not that is fine, I've just been hung up on this idea for days.
This would not be fine. Copyright violation is against PF rules.

Likes AdrianGriff
Orodruin said:
It seems like a straightforward application of the work-energy theorem.This would not be fine. Copyright violation is against PF rules.

Oh, okay. Thank you :)

Related to Questions About Acceleration and Jerk in Orbits

1. What is acceleration in an orbit?

Acceleration in an orbit refers to the rate of change of velocity of an object moving in a circular or elliptical path around a central body. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) and is responsible for keeping the object in a stable orbit.

2. How is acceleration calculated in an orbit?

Acceleration in an orbit can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the orbit. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, F = ma, where F is the force acting on the object and m is its mass.

3. What is jerk in an orbit?

Jerk in an orbit refers to the rate of change of acceleration of an object. It is a measure of how quickly the acceleration is changing and is typically expressed in meters per second cubed (m/s^3).

4. Why is jerk important in orbits?

Jerk is important in orbits because it affects the stability and smoothness of the orbit. A high jerk value can cause sudden changes in acceleration, which can be uncomfortable or even dangerous for astronauts. Therefore, it is important for spacecrafts to have low jerk values to ensure a safe and stable orbit.

5. How is jerk minimized in orbits?

Jerk can be minimized in orbits by carefully planning the trajectory and using precise maneuvers to change the velocity and acceleration of the spacecraft. By minimizing sudden changes in acceleration, the jerk can be reduced, resulting in a smoother and more stable orbit.