Questions about constructing a cyclotron

• Thread starter RB211
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cyclotron
In summary, The speaker is a high school student researching and planning to build a small cyclotron as a DIY project. They are stuck on the mean free path equation and have found examples using a vacuum pressure of 10^-6 torr and the atomic radius of a hydrogen atom. Their calculations indicate that the temperature would need to be around 3000k, which raises concerns about the safety and cost of the project. They also question the possibility of producing ionizing radiation with a 1-2 Mev cyclotron. The other person in the conversation expresses concern about the potential risks and expenses involved in this project.
RB211
I'm working on plans to build a small cyclotron as a DIY project (I'm a high school student). I've spent over a month researching a variety of sources (the rutgers cyclotron, etc.) and am working on some calculations, but I'm stuck with the mean free path equation.

the equation I was using was =/sqrt2 ^2a

I've looked at other examples that used a vacuum with a pressure of 10^-6 torr and using the atomic radius of a hydrogen atom that gave a mean free path of 100m. assuming all else is equal, my calculations indicate that temperature would have to be about 3000k. Does it really get that hot inside a cyclotron, even a small one that only accelerates particles to about 2 Mev? and if pressure is already part of the equation, why should temperature affect the mean free path available? it isn't expanding out any more when temperature increases as pressure is still the same. Do the fast moving particles create more path space?

also, out of curiosity, is it possible to produce ionizing radiation with a 1-2 Mev cyclotron?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stop. You clearly don't know what you are doing and the most likely thing that will happen is that you will get injured or worse. You wouldn't stick a fork in a toaster, would you? This is far riskier.

Furthermore, this will not be cheap. Vacuum pumps are not cheap. High voltage is not cheap. Magnet steel is not cheap. Copper wire is not cheap.

Related to Questions about constructing a cyclotron

1. How does a cyclotron work?

A cyclotron is a type of particle accelerator that uses electric and magnetic fields to accelerate charged particles in a spiral path. The particles are injected into the center of the cyclotron and then are accelerated by alternating electric fields. As they gain energy, the particles spiral outward, reaching higher speeds with each revolution. Eventually, the particles are ejected at high speeds to collide with a target or be used for other purposes.

2. What are the main components of a cyclotron?

The main components of a cyclotron include an ion source, an accelerating chamber, a magnetic field, and a target. The ion source generates the particles, which are then injected into the accelerating chamber. The magnetic field is used to bend the particles in a circular path, while the accelerating chamber provides the electric fields to speed up the particles. The target is where the particles are ultimately directed to.

3. What materials are typically used to construct a cyclotron?

The construction of a cyclotron typically involves using strong and lightweight materials such as steel, copper, and aluminum. These materials are able to withstand the high speeds and energies involved in particle acceleration. The magnets used to create the magnetic field are often made of superconducting materials, such as niobium-titanium, which can produce very strong magnetic fields.

4. What are the main applications of cyclotrons?

Cyclotrons have a wide range of applications in various fields including nuclear medicine, research, and industry. In nuclear medicine, cyclotrons are used to produce medical isotopes for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. In research, they are used to study the properties of matter and to create new particles. In industry, cyclotrons are used for materials analysis and testing, as well as in the production of radiopharmaceuticals.

5. What are the advantages of using a cyclotron compared to other particle accelerators?

One of the main advantages of a cyclotron is its compact size. It can produce high-energy particles in a relatively small space, making it suitable for use in hospitals and research facilities. Additionally, cyclotrons are relatively simple to operate and maintain, and they can produce a continuous beam of particles. They also have the ability to produce a variety of particles with different energies, making them versatile for different applications.