Questions about future employment

In summary, when it comes to securing future employment in the field, internships are the best way to get a foot in the door at a company. Personal connections are also important, as well as having a strong resume, portfolio, and relevant job experience. Teamwork is highly valued in the engineering field and is a critical skill for success. As for the pace of technological change, it varies depending on the industry, but in the medical devices and pharma field, it is rapid and constant. Internships, job experience, and relevant technical projects are important factors for employers when considering hiring a college graduate.
FocusMiah
I had some questions about future employment in the field.

First, I would like to know what is needed to help get my foot in the door at any given company.

What items are needed, such as a resume, portfolio, or any other important documents?

I know that teams are a large part of any engineering department. What methods are used among these teams to communicate ideas with others in the team?

Finally, how much does the field change, or advance, with new technology? How rapidly do these changes take place, if so?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a big plus while in college to get a summer internship or co-op job in a company that does work in your chosen field of study. If you work diligently and do your best, you will be noticed and have an edge when you apply for a full time job after receiving your BS degree. A masters degree is a plus.

You'll need a resume (1 page or 1 and a half pages tops, please) and a sample report of any special projects or CADD drawings you may have worked on. A 3.5 GPA or higher gives you an edge. Be humble. Master the basics in school. Volunteer work is a good thing, no matter in what area.

Ahhh , change. It comes slowly in my profession. Why try something new when the old has worked for years, while the new has not withstood the test of time? Eventually change will come, but not overnight, but you still need to keep up with, more so in some disciplines than others.

Likes FocusMiah
FocusMiah said:
First, I would like to know what is needed to help get my foot in the door at any given company
Personal connections are the biggest "foot in the door". Internships, conferences/conventions, collaboration, etc.

Likes FocusMiah
Internships are the #1 source of new employees at my work. I was an intern here before I got hired. My office-mate was an intern here before HE got hired. Doing everything you can to obtain an internship somewhere. Not only will you get the "foot in the door" you'll probably learn a lot that isn't part of your college course.

Likes FocusMiah
FocusMiah said:
I had some questions about future employment in the field.

First, I would like to know what is needed to help get my foot in the door at any given company.

What items are needed, such as a resume, portfolio, or any other important documents?

I know that teams are a large part of any engineering department. What methods are used among these teams to communicate ideas with others in the team?

Finally, how much does the field change, or advance, with new technology? How rapidly do these changes take place, if so?

When we do college hiring, far and away the most important thing is: has this student worked with us as an intern? Internships are the method by which we manage the risk of hiring someone who may not fit in well with the company, or who looks good on paper but can't get any work done. After that, other internships or job experience are important, any relevant research or patents, and what kinds of technical projects a student has done for fun. This last one is a way to see how hands-on an engineering student is. Someone who builds cars or robots or ZigBee wireless sensor networks probably knows something useful, and also how to execute, which is just as important.

For a student, I expect a 1-page resume. Very few students deserve a longer resume than that, although I have seen one who did. If you have a relevant portfolio of technical work, that would be important as well.

Teamwork is absolutely critical where I work. We spend more time trying to understand this soft-skill than we do your technical skills. It is easy to find someone who is bright and knowledgeable. For the most part, your degree and your GPA are sufficient, although some technical questions should be expected. It is far less easy to find someone who is bright and knowledgeable who can work well with others in our organization. Proof of this is best provided by having worked on a team, accomplishing something, and managing not to have your teammates hate you. By the way, I've been doing this for 11 years, and I can tell when you lie about this.

In my specific field, which is medical devices and pharma, technological change is rapid and constant. This is a very competitive field, so new technology is constantly emerging as everyone seeks a market edge.

Ben Espen said:
When we do college hiring, far and away the most important thing is: has this student worked with us as an intern? Internships are the method by which we manage the risk of hiring someone who may not fit in well with the company, or who looks good on paper but can't get any work done. After that, other internships or job experience are important, any relevant research or patents, and what kinds of technical projects a student has done for fun. This last one is a way to see how hands-on an engineering student is. Someone who builds cars or robots or ZigBee wireless sensor networks probably knows something useful, and also how to execute, which is just as important.

For a student, I expect a 1-page resume. Very few students deserve a longer resume than that, although I have seen one who did. If you have a relevant portfolio of technical work, that would be important as well.

Teamwork is absolutely critical where I work. We spend more time trying to understand this soft-skill than we do your technical skills. It is easy to find someone who is bright and knowledgeable. For the most part, your degree and your GPA are sufficient, although some technical questions should be expected. It is far less easy to find someone who is bright and knowledgeable who can work well with others in our organization. Proof of this is best provided by having worked on a team, accomplishing something, and managing not to have your teammates hate you. By the way, I've been doing this for 11 years, and I can tell when you lie about this.

In my specific field, which is medical devices and pharma, technological change is rapid and constant. This is a very competitive field, so new technology is constantly emerging as everyone seeks a market edge.
The soft-skill thing you discuss is not always what works. Too many people with poor soft-skills are already working and have been doing their work for more than long enough. Soft-skills are nice, but that is not always what you find established.

symbolipoint said:
The soft-skill thing you discuss is not always what works. Too many people with poor soft-skills are already working and have been doing their work for more than long enough. Soft-skills are nice, but that is not always what you find established.
Yes, this is a problem in general. In my specific case, my company as a matter of policy invests a lot of time and effort in improving this. As a consequence, our technical teams tend to work pretty well, although exceptions exist. I cannot speak for places I don't work.
people-skills1-300x300.jpg

If you don’t have any work experience, then your best ‘arguments’ are going to be your diploma and your resume. For some companies cover letter is also needed as a part of your application. Successful resume and cover letter are the half way to a good job. If you don’t know how to make them right you should better consult professionals, e.g. craftresumes.com or other related services. Good luck!

Related to Questions about future employment

1. What are the current job market trends and how will they affect future employment?

The current job market is constantly changing and evolving, making it difficult to predict future employment trends. However, some industries such as technology, healthcare, and renewable energy are expected to experience growth in the coming years. On the other hand, industries like retail and manufacturing may see a decline in job opportunities. It is important to stay informed and adaptable to these trends in order to secure future employment.

2. What skills should I focus on developing for future employment?

In today's job market, employers are seeking candidates with a combination of technical and soft skills. Technical skills such as data analysis, programming, and digital literacy are highly valued, while soft skills like communication, teamwork, and adaptability are also important. It is beneficial to focus on developing a well-rounded set of skills that align with your career goals.

3. How will advancements in technology impact future employment opportunities?

The rapid advancements in technology have already had a significant impact on the job market, and this trend is likely to continue in the future. While some jobs may become obsolete due to automation, new jobs in emerging fields such as artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, and digital marketing will also be created. It is important to stay updated on technological advancements and be willing to adapt and learn new skills.

4. How can I make myself more marketable to employers in the future?

To make yourself more marketable to future employers, it is important to continually update and improve your skills and knowledge. This can be done through education, internships, and professional development opportunities. Networking and building a strong personal brand can also make you stand out to potential employers.

5. What are the current and future job prospects for my chosen field?

The job prospects for different fields vary and are largely dependent on economic and societal factors. It is important to research and stay informed about the current and future job market in your chosen field. You can also speak with professionals in the field and join professional organizations to gain insight and make connections that can help you in your job search.