Questions about inverting DC to AC

• Thread starter kettaneh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Dc
In summary, for the given scenario, you will need to consider the efficiency of your converter and the Ah rating of your battery to calculate the working time for a 100W load. As for determining the wattage of the inverter, you should use the output rating (220V) and ensure it is equal to or greater than the load (in this case, 1000W). Additionally, factors such as discharge rate and battery age should also be taken into account when calculating the working time of the battery.
kettaneh
Hello,

I have a question, How can I calculate the working time for the following scenario:

I have 12V 7.2AH LEAD ACID SLA DEEP CYCLE BATTERY
Then I used DC 12V to AC 220V Power Inverter USB 1000W to give me AC

I connected one 100w lamp .. For how long it will work ? how can I calculate it

another question .. How can I calculate the watt of the inverter (to know which one I should buy) .. is it 220v x amp ? or 12v x amp ?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I connected one 100w lamp .. For how long it will work ? how can I calculate it
You will need the efficiency of your converter to find the power needed as input.
Assuming your battery is designed to deliver ~100-150W (check this!), it can store 12V*7.2AH = 86,4Wh, so it will run for something like 30-50 minutes.

another question .. How can I calculate the watt of the inverter (to know which one I should buy) .. is it 220v x amp ? or 12v x amp ?
The power rating of the transformer is probably for the output, so you should use the 220V-side. If the losses in the converter are small, the other side should give a similar result (the current will be much larger there, to account for the lower voltage).

For power inverters, the rating is always for the load. If you have 1000W of light bulbs (a resistive load), you need at least a 1000W inverter (can be larger but not smaller).

Something else to consider besides the efficiency of the inverter is your battery. The faster you discharge a battery, the lower the Ah rating becomes. Usually the Ah rating is taken for a 20 hour discharge period. If you discharge over a longer time it actually goes up slightly, but if you were to discharge your battery in say 5 hours, the Ampere-hours you realize can decrease considerably (plus you can damage the battery if the drain is too high).

In your example of a 7.2 Ah battery, the 20 hour rating would result in a 360 milliampere drain (for 20 hours), but with a 100W load, the current drain would be over 8.3 Amperes so the 7.2 Ah battery rating would be diminished substantially. Lower ambient temperatures will also decrease the Ah rating.

Lastly, the Ah rating of a given battery usually falls with the age of the battery and how it has been treated during that lifetime (rate of discharge, depth of discharge, number of discharge cycles, etc.)

Last edited:

Hello,

Calculating the working time for a battery connected to a power inverter is dependent on several factors, including the efficiency of the inverter and the power consumption of the connected device. In this scenario, the 100W lamp will draw approximately 0.45A (100W/220V) of current from the inverter. Assuming the inverter has an efficiency of 90%, the power consumption from the battery would be 0.5A (0.45A/0.9). Therefore, with a 7.2AH battery, the lamp should work for approximately 14.4 hours (7.2AH/0.5A). Keep in mind that this is a rough estimate and actual working time may vary.

To calculate the wattage of the inverter, you would multiply the output voltage (220V) by the maximum current that the inverter can supply. In this case, if the inverter can supply a maximum current of 4.5A, then the wattage would be 990W (220V x 4.5A). It is important to note that the wattage of the inverter should be higher than the wattage of the device you plan to connect to it, to ensure it can handle the power demand.

I hope this helps answer your questions. If you need further assistance, I suggest consulting with an electrician or doing more research on specific inverter models to determine the best fit for your needs.

Related to Questions about inverting DC to AC

What is the purpose of inverting DC to AC?

The purpose of inverting DC to AC is to convert direct current (DC) electricity into alternating current (AC) electricity. This is necessary because most electronic devices and appliances require AC power to function properly, whereas DC power is typically only used for long-distance power transmission.

How does an inverter work?

An inverter works by using electronic components, such as transistors and capacitors, to switch the direction of current flow in a circuit. This creates an alternating current that can be used to power AC devices.

What are the benefits of using an inverter?

The main benefit of using an inverter is the ability to convert DC power from a battery or solar panel into AC power, allowing for a wider range of applications. Inverters also provide a more stable and reliable source of power compared to generators, and they are much quieter and produce less pollution.

What are the different types of inverters?

There are two main types of inverters: modified sine wave and pure sine wave. Modified sine wave inverters are less expensive but may not be suitable for sensitive electronics. Pure sine wave inverters produce a smoother and more accurate AC output, making them better for powering sensitive equipment.

Are there any safety concerns when using an inverter?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to consider when using an inverter. It is important to choose the right size and type of inverter for your intended use, and to follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and operation. Inverters also produce high voltages that can be dangerous, so it is important to use caution and proper protective gear when handling them.