Questions about Lock-in detection in optical reflectivity

In summary, the lock-in detection method is commonly used in optical spectroscopy experiments, such as optical pump-probe reflectivity experiments on semiconductor surfaces. This method involves using laser pulses for inducing and detecting signals, and an optical chopper or other modulation methods are used to modulate the frequency of the chopper, which is then connected to a lock-in amplifier to filter out noise. However, it is unclear how to ensure that the reference signal from the chopper is comparable to the real signal being measured, especially for fast phenomena like phonon oscillations in semiconductors. Some papers have mentioned using choppers at kHz levels, but it is impossible to have a chopper operating at THz levels. It is possible that they are using
alanwake90
Hi guys~
I have a question about lock-in detection method that commonly used in optical spectroscopy experiments, for example, the optical pump-probe reflectivity exeperiments on some semiconductor surfaces, or kinda like that.

Usually, the sinario is: you use laser pulses, divided as pump and probe, for inducing and detection, not so hard to get that picture, and you need an optical chooper or some other modulation methods, also the frequency of your chopper is connected to a lock-in amplifier, of course, to get the signal buried in noises. I think some of you are definitely pretty familiar with this sort of experiments.

here comes my question, which confused me alot, let me put it this way:
it's said that lock-in amplifier will ideally and only select the signal that equals to your reference signal, other components are filtered and reduced. but how do you know that your reference signal from the optical chopper is comparable to the real signal you want to measure?
specifically, let's say you want to measure some really fast phenemenon such as phonon oscillations in semiconductor, with ultrafast laser pump-probe setup, in this case, how to choose the frequency of your chopper (and also it's the reference frequency for lock-in)? is that the case that if your signal is oscillating at GHz level, you are going to choose the chooper frequency at the same level? that sounds rediculous so that I don't get it.

I don't know if I made myself clear, hopefully someone would enlighten me on this.
Thx in advance.

Science news on Phys.org
alanwake90 said:
Hi guys~
I have a question about lock-in detection method that commonly used in optical spectroscopy experiments, for example, the optical pump-probe reflectivity exeperiments on some semiconductor surfaces, or kinda like that.

Usually, the sinario is: you use laser pulses, divided as pump and probe, for inducing and detection, not so hard to get that picture, and you need an optical chooper or some other modulation methods, also the frequency of your chopper is connected to a lock-in amplifier, of course, to get the signal buried in noises. I think some of you are definitely pretty familiar with this sort of experiments.

here comes my question, which confused me alot, let me put it this way:
it's said that lock-in amplifier will ideally and only select the signal that equals to your reference signal, other components are filtered and reduced. but how do you know that your reference signal from the optical chopper is comparable to the real signal you want to measure?
specifically, let's say you want to measure some really fast phenemenon such as phonon oscillations in semiconductor, with ultrafast laser pump-probe setup, in this case, how to choose the frequency of your chopper (and also it's the reference frequency for lock-in)? is that the case that if your signal is oscillating at GHz level, you are going to choose the chooper frequency at the same level? that sounds rediculous so that I don't get it.

I don't know if I made myself clear, hopefully someone would enlighten me on this.
Thx in advance.
I think the chopper is applying pulse modulation to the optical carrier in the transmitter. In the receiver, the pulse modulation is first recovered by envelope detection, and is then synchronously detected using the TX pulse stream as a reference. This will give a zero frequency DC output to our own signal and allow noise to be low pass filtered.
If the phenomenon is varying, it will amplitude modulate the pulse train. If it is fast, the LPF will then need to be widened in order to see it, and you may need to raise the chopper frequency to avoid fold-over of the modulation spectrum at zero frequency. The chopper frequency must be higher than the phenomenon being observed (by factor >2?).

tech99 said:
I think the chopper is applying pulse modulation to the optical carrier in the transmitter. In the receiver, the pulse modulation is first recovered by envelope detection, and is then synchronously detected using the TX pulse stream as a reference. This will give a zero frequency DC output to our own signal and allow noise to be low pass filtered.
If the phenomenon is varying, it will amplitude modulate the pulse train. If it is fast, the LPF will then need to be widened in order to see it, and you may need to raise the chopper frequency to avoid fold-over of the modulation spectrum at zero frequency. The chopper frequency must be higher than the phenomenon being observed (by factor >2?).
Thank u so much for ur reply, But I still don't get it, I saw some papers taking about measuring THz oscillation using the optical pump-probe method I mentioned, on coherent phonon dynamics, for example. and they said that the chopper is used to chopping the pump laser at kHz level.I don't think currently we have a chopper that can operate at THz, sounds impossible.
In a word, I just confused that, since the lock-in amplifier only select the signal (closely) equals to the reference, then how to exactly understand the reason why signals could be obtained when they are really fast.
Thx in advance.

alanwake90 said:
Thank u so much for ur reply, But I still don't get it, I saw some papers taking about measuring THz oscillation using the optical pump-probe method I mentioned, on coherent phonon dynamics, for example. and they said that the chopper is used to chopping the pump laser at kHz level.I don't think currently we have a chopper that can operate at THz, sounds impossible.
In a word, I just confused that, since the lock-in amplifier only select the signal (closely) equals to the reference, then how to exactly understand the reason why signals could be obtained when they are really fast.
Thx in advance.
Maybe they are using a chopper and just looking at the received signal with a CRO or spectrum analyser.

tech99 said:
Maybe they are using a chopper and just looking at the received signal with a CRO or spectrum analyser.
Thx for ur reply very much.
I think they were using the photodetector(or a combination of photodetectors, the signal to lock-in is A-B, photodetector A - Photodetector B to cut the background at first)to collect the signal.
I believe that nowadays the bandwide of photodetector is at GHz level at best, here I mean the response of sensitivity of the photodetector.
is this the case that the signal is locked-in at a frequency far from the "real" phenemena, and it's required that you need to have a lot of time for averaging? then how the lock-in here can be a "bandpass" filter?

alanwake90 said:
Thx for ur reply very much.
I think they were using the photodetector(or a combination of photodetectors, the signal to lock-in is A-B, photodetector A - Photodetector B to cut the background at first)to collect the signal.
I believe that nowadays the bandwide of photodetector is at GHz level at best, here I mean the response of sensitivity of the photodetector.
is this the case that the signal is locked-in at a frequency far from the "real" phenemena, and it's required that you need to have a lot of time for averaging? then how the lock-in here can be a "bandpass" filter?
I am not sure, but I suspect that the set up is being used like a radar. The light beam, maybe chopped at quite a low frequency, is exciting optical resonances in the material under study. When the light pulse ends, we can see the continuing resonance. We cannot see individual cycles at THz, but we can see the envelope by using a photo detector with perhaps a CRO or a spectrum analyser.

Related to Questions about Lock-in detection in optical reflectivity

1. What is lock-in detection in optical reflectivity?

Lock-in detection is a technique used to measure small changes in a signal against a large background noise. In the context of optical reflectivity, it is used to extract the small changes in the reflected light signal caused by changes in the sample's properties.

2. Why is lock-in detection important in optical reflectivity experiments?

Lock-in detection is important because it allows for the measurement of small changes in the reflected light signal that are otherwise obscured by background noise. This is especially useful in experiments where the signal of interest is weak and the noise level is high.

3. How does lock-in detection work in optical reflectivity?

Lock-in detection works by modulating the light source at a specific frequency and then using a lock-in amplifier to demodulate the reflected light signal at the same frequency. This allows for the extraction of the signal from the noise, as the noise will not be modulated at the same frequency as the signal.

4. What are the benefits of using lock-in detection in optical reflectivity experiments?

The main benefit of using lock-in detection is the ability to improve the signal-to-noise ratio, allowing for more accurate measurements of small changes in the reflected light signal. It also allows for the measurement of signals with a high background noise level, which would not be possible with other detection methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using lock-in detection in optical reflectivity experiments?

One limitation of lock-in detection is that it is dependent on the modulation frequency used. If the frequency is too low, it may not be able to separate the signal from the noise effectively. Additionally, lock-in detection may not be suitable for experiments with rapidly changing signals, as it requires a steady-state signal to work effectively.