Questions About Space: Is Travel Circular? Can You Reach Big Bang Light?

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions about space travel and the possibility of reaching the starting point of the universe and the light emitted from the Big Bang. The first question is about the topology of the universe and the second question is based on the assumption that there is a specific point where the Big Bang occurred. Both questions are still being researched and there is no definitive answer yet. The CMB (cosmic microwave background) is a snapshot of the universe after approximately 400,000 years after the Big Bang and can be seen without needing to travel to it.
_Mayday_
Two questions to be precise, I've heard both ideas but neither from a reliable source. The ideas are put quite simply, and any further explanation would be much appreciated.

Firstly: I've heard that if you continue to travel into space, you will eventually land up where you started, much like on this earth.

Secondly: If you traveled far enough and fast enough into space, in theory could you eventually reach the light emitted fromt the big bang? So as light was released from the big bang in traveled into space, and is still traveling now.

Both of these ideas sound like cool thoughts, but I'm not sure if they are correct. I know the second one is possibly irrelevant as we would never be able to catch the light up, but possibly an interesting concept.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
CrawfordK said:
Secondly: If you traveled far enough and fast enough into space, in theory could you eventually reach the light emitted fromt the big bang?
My non-physicist understanding is that we can see the radiation emitted within a short time period of the Big Bang. You don't need to travel to see it, it comes to you.

EnumaElish said:
My non-physicist understanding is that we can see the radiation emitted within a short time period of the Big Bang. You don't need to travel to see it, it comes to you.

That's awesome, I'm trying to find a source, where I can get some more information.

Does nobody have an answer? Or possible explanation?

Your first question has to do with the topology of the universe. At the moment the universe is thought to be very close to flat geometry and all observations indicate there is no non-trivial topology. If a non-trivial topology were to be discovered it would conflict with standard inflationary cosmology models.

I think that your second question is assuming that somewhere in the universe there is a point where the big bang happened. This isn't really the case. Enuma Elish is referring to the CMB which is a snapshot of the universe as it was approx 400 000 years after the big bang.

FAQ: Questions About Space: Is Travel Circular? Can You Reach Big Bang Light?

1. Is space travel circular?

No, space travel is not circular. It follows an elliptical or curved path, depending on the gravitational pull of objects in space. However, space probes and spacecraft can be put into circular orbits around planets or moons.

2. Can we reach the light from the Big Bang?

No, it is not possible to reach the light from the Big Bang. The light from the Big Bang is the cosmic microwave background radiation, and it has been traveling through the universe for over 13 billion years. As we are limited by the speed of light, we cannot travel back in time to reach it.

3. How fast is the expansion of space?

The expansion of space is measured by the Hubble constant, which is currently estimated to be 73.3 kilometers per second per megaparsec. This means that for every megaparsec (3.26 million light years) of distance, the space between two objects is expanding by 73.3 kilometers per second.

4. Is there an end to space?

As far as we know, there is no end to space. The universe is constantly expanding, and we do not know if it has a finite or infinite size. It is possible that the universe may have a shape that loops back on itself, meaning that if you traveled in one direction long enough, you would eventually end up back where you started.

5. How long does it take to travel through space?

The time it takes to travel through space depends on the distance and the speed at which the object is traveling. For example, it takes about 3 days for a spacecraft to reach the moon, but it would take over 70,000 years to reach the nearest star outside of our solar system. Additionally, the speed of light is the fastest speed possible, so traveling at or near the speed of light would greatly reduce travel time.

Back