Questions about the Hartree Fock Method and Methane Molecules

In summary: HF cannot predict the electronic structure of an atom or molecule to within experimental accuracy. MP2 and other post-HF methods are much better at that.
davidfur
Hey all !

I've got a few questions regarding the Hartree Fock method which I'm not so sure about...
Will HF result in a good estimate of the interaction energy between two Methane molecules ?
and what about the structure and symmetry of Methane molecule ? (I know that as far as structure is concerend, it's better to work with VSEPR)

Will HF fail with dealing with N2 because of large relativistic effects ?
Can HF predict the structure of shells experimentally measured for the electronic density in atoms ?

I know HF is based on the Born Oppenheimer aprox. and it starts with slater type orbitals, but not so sure about when HF fails to predict correctly.
Any help will be greatly appreciated !

Physics news on Phys.org
davidfur said:
Hey all !

I've got a few questions regarding the Hartree Fock method which I'm not so sure about...
Will HF result in a good estimate of the interaction energy between two Methane molecules ?

No .. the interaction between two methane molecules is very weak .. only van der Waals dispersion interactions contribute, and HF does a horrible job of accounting for those, because it doesn't include electron correlation.

and what about the structure and symmetry of Methane molecule ? (I know that as far as structure is concerend, it's better to work with VSEPR)

The HF structure for methane should be pretty good .. the lengths of the CH bonds will probably be a bit shorter than the experimental value, but it will have the correct tetrahedral geometry. VSEPR is not a calculation method .. it is only a set of guidelines for predicting bond angles in simple molecules.

Will HF fail with dealing with N2 because of large relativistic effects ?

Yes and no ... HF definitely will not include the relativistic effects, however, it is also missing other contributions (such as electron correlation, and the correct representation of electron exchange), which will like contribute much larger errors to the energy.

Can HF predict the structure of shells experimentally measured for the electronic density in atoms ?

I don't know what you are trying to ask ...

I know HF is based on the Born Oppenheimer aprox. and it starts with slater type orbitals, but not so sure about when HF fails to predict correctly.
Any help will be greatly appreciated !

HF is hardly used in practice any more ... it has been supplanted by density functional methods, which work on the same principles, but also include a better handling of electron exchange, and electron correlation, which HF doesn't treat at all. DFT is far from perfect however ... for the most accurate work, people turn to post-HF methods, such as Moeller-Plesset perturbation theory (MPn), configuration interaction (CI), and coupled cluster (CC) methods. Also, some problems, particularly those involving chemical reactions, cannot be accurately represented with a single Slater determinant (HF and DFT methods only work for wavefunctions that can be represented as single Slater determinants). For these cases, you need to turn to multi-reference methods, which include complete active space SCF (CASSCF) and multi-reference configuration interaction (MRCI), just to name a couple.

SpectraCat said:
HF is hardly used in practice any more ...

I'd like to second everything you said before, but this statement should be clarified: HF is of course used as first step for the post-HF methods you mention. So it actually is used in practice, very often, but not on its own. It's main task is to give to give a reference wave function for more accurate methods[1].

[1] And, on a side note: In most molecular programs DFT and HF share a common implementation, so there learning HF in theory or practical application is not irrelevant.

For the OP:
(i) There are no special relativistic effects in N2. Like in most small molecules composed of first row atoms, you have to expect around 1 kJ/mol or less as relativistic effect on energy differences.
(ii) HF does describe the shell structure of atoms. However, that is not much of a feat considering that the shell structure is basically a theoretical construct /based/ on a HF interpretation of the atoms. Additionally, straight HF will give you non-spherical orbitals for non-spherical atoms. Many people don't like that and will recommend you to do a state-averaged HF instead.

Related to Questions about the Hartree Fock Method and Methane Molecules

1. What is the Hartree Fock method?

The Hartree Fock method is a computational approach used to solve the Schrödinger equation for a multi-electron system. It is based on the assumption that the wavefunction of the system can be approximated as a single Slater determinant, and it uses a variational method to find the best approximation of the wavefunction that minimizes the total energy of the system.

2. How does the Hartree Fock method work?

The Hartree Fock method works by first constructing an initial guess for the wavefunction of the system. Then, it uses an iterative process to improve the wavefunction until it reaches a self-consistent solution, where the energy and the wavefunction no longer change significantly with each iteration. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

3. What is the role of the Hartree Fock method in studying methane molecules?

The Hartree Fock method is an important tool in studying methane molecules as it allows for the calculation of their electronic structure and properties. This information is crucial in understanding the reactivity and behavior of methane in various chemical reactions.

4. What are the advantages of using the Hartree Fock method?

The Hartree Fock method is advantageous because it provides a relatively accurate approximation of the electronic structure and properties of a multi-electron system. It is also relatively fast and computationally efficient compared to other methods, making it a popular choice in quantum chemistry calculations.

5. Are there any limitations of the Hartree Fock method?

Yes, the Hartree Fock method has some limitations. It assumes that the system can be described by a single Slater determinant, which is not always the case for more complex systems. It also neglects electron correlation effects, which can significantly impact the accuracy of the results for systems with strong electron-electron interactions. Thus, the Hartree Fock method is often used as a starting point for more advanced methods that can account for these limitations.