Questions about the (Spatial) Fourth Dimension

• Thread starter Tesseract
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimension
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of different spatial dimensions and how objects from higher dimensions would appear in lower dimensions. In the case of a fourth dimensional object poking through our three dimensional world, we would see a sphere. The discussion also touched on the idea of a fourth dimensional tunnel being accessible from six sides and recommended reading the book Flatland for a better understanding of these concepts. The conversation ended with the suggestion of approaching the topic from a mathematical standpoint.
Tesseract
I have a couple questions I have been thinking about:

Say that there is a two dimensional, three dimensional, and four dimensional spatial worlds lined up. If I poked my finger through the two dimensional world they would see a circle. If a fourth dimensional person poked their finger through our world would we see a sphere?

Another thing, would the opening of fourth dimensional tunnel be a 3D hole accessible from 6 sides?

(If I don't know something obvious it's because I'm in seventh grade and haven't learned it yet.)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
yes, what you'd see is a sphere... it's like what they are saying for large extra dimensions... if you suddenly saw a a 3D object (let's say sphere) starting growing out of nowhere and then starting to collapse again until it disappears it would mean that a 4spatial dimensional object passed through our world dimensions...
All these are funnily explained from the flatland... if you passed your finger in that world, the 2d people would see a shape appearing (let's say a circle) growing, and then disappearing as you take your finger out of their flat dimension...

I don't get your 2nd question...

I highly recommend you read the book Flatland, freely available here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/201

It is very accessible but also a very good read. I still read it now and then because it's very well written.

Thank you for all of the feedback.

I got to say, you are a very impressive seventh grader! Keep at it dude!

Really though, there is a lot more that could be said about this topic. Not to be a hater, but ChrisVer basically answered yes and repeated your same line of logic. This whole question could be approached from a mathematical standpoint and I'm sure the results would be a lot more satisfying.

e-
For your second question, what do you consider to be a 3D tunnel?

Last edited:
well OK... just to be more precise... in the 2D world they wouldn't necessarily see a circle, neither in our 3D world would they see a sphere... the correct shape is just the projection of the object...
if your finger's projection is a circle, so be it... I am not so sure ...

If you want some more food for thought, consider this: when you poke your finger across a 2D world, the 2D beings themselves won't see a circle since they will have 2D eyes and so will see in 1D :)

Just as how we live in a 3D world with 3D eyes but see in 2D (although our brains make it look like we're seeing 3D).

FAQ: Questions about the (Spatial) Fourth Dimension

1. What is the fourth dimension?

The fourth dimension refers to a theoretical concept in physics and mathematics that goes beyond the three dimensions of length, width, and height. It is often referred to as the spatial fourth dimension and is represented by the letter "t" in the space-time continuum.

2. How is the fourth dimension different from the other dimensions?

The fourth dimension is different from the other dimensions because it is not easily perceived by humans. We can only experience and perceive the three dimensions of length, width, and height, whereas the fourth dimension is considered to be time and is not directly observable.

3. Can the fourth dimension be visualized?

While the fourth dimension cannot be directly perceived, it can be visualized through mathematical models and representations. One common way to visualize the fourth dimension is through a tesseract, which is a four-dimensional cube.

4. How does the concept of the fourth dimension relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that space and time are interconnected and can be described as a four-dimensional space-time continuum. This supports the idea of the fourth dimension as time being a fundamental part of the universe.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the fourth dimension?

Understanding the fourth dimension has many practical applications, particularly in the field of physics and engineering. It is used in theories of space-time, relativity, and quantum mechanics. Additionally, concepts of the fourth dimension are applied in computer graphics and animations to create more realistic and immersive visualizations.