Questions about the Suns magnetic field

In summary: The sun has a magnetic field, but it's not the only one in the solar system. The planets also have magnetic fields. The magnetic fields on the planets rotate in the opposite direction than the sun's magnetic field.
cbeckelhymer
first off i want to apologize if my questions seem elementary, but if you can please help that would be great

i would like to know what the Tesla strength of the Suns pole is. again sorry if my idea is dumb but please if you can help please do, i want to solve for I in the magnetic field equation (i think that's correct?)

B=μI/2πr

again sorry if i have that incorrect

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
cbeckelhymer said:
what the Tesla strength of the Suns pole is.
Up to 0.2 mT.
https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/factsheet/sunfact.html
But keep in mind, what you'll get if you plug that into the equation provided, is a relationship between the current that you'd have to run through an infinite straight wire in order to measure magnetic field strength equal to solar polar field strength, as a function of distance from the wire. I'm not sure what would you ever need that for, but as long as you understand the meaning of the result, you should be fine.

cbeckelhymer said:
i would like to know what the Tesla strength of the Suns pole is.
The sun's average magnetic field strength at the surface is about 2 Gauss, or about 0.0002 Tesla, which is about 1/50th the field strenght of a refrigerator magnet.
https://sunearthday.gsfc.nasa.gov/2010/TTT/71.php

well if i was wanting the average on the surface then yes simple google already got me there. really guys if you are so smart then why not just give me the information i want instead of trying to insult me. do you guys need to know what I am trying to get out of this? no you dont, you are waaaaay to smart for all that.

i want to see what kind of correlation there is between the distance "r" in that equation and the distances of planets from the sun. but asking you guys to do the math for me would just get insults and ridicule. i don't care if you think my approach is moronic, i not asking for your opinion I am asking for numbers.

i have my ideas and i can't even hope for the miracle someone smart would like to help me out so i have to try it on my own, so i thought i would join this site for that help.

the model with the infinitely long wire at a specific current gives off a magnetic field, and with the right hand rule the fields (is that correct?) travel counter clockwise. the strength of the field deminishes 1/r^3 correct?

what i want to see is if planets orbit against these fields or not. do i want you guys to say insulting things at me? no i dont. i like exploring my ideas with help from people not being belittled and insulted because i don't have a masters in physics from UC Berkely.

so yes that's what i want to look at, and if that's not the best way to go about it then please show me the correct equations that i could try and use to look into my idea. please i don't want insults i just want hel

cbeckelhymer said:
well if i was wanting the average on the surface then yes simple google already got me there. really guys if you are so smart then why not just give me the information i want instead of trying to insult me.
Again:
1. No one insulted you. The worst you got was LMGTFY, which was a reasonable response to a very thin question.
2. It's nice that you acknowledged being a noob, but one thing a noob needs to learn is how to interact here. So far, you haven't learned what "help" looks like and are misinterpreting what you are getting as insults. The nature of help is that people do the best they can - you don't always get exactly what you ask for, but often it is what you need. And they tell you when you are on the wrong track. You need to be more appreciative of that and lose your attitude/chip on your shoulder. Rapidly.

So. Do you have an idea of how much the magnetic field varies across the surface? How much precision do you really need? The answers you got were closer than an order of magnitude, which is a lot closer than your choice of units would suggest you needed.
i want to see what kind of correlation there is between the distance "r" in that equation and the distances of planets from the sun.
Then you *don't* need the value at the pole, you need the average over the surface.

i wish i could draw a picture, because i don't think I am getting my question through very good.

the sun has a magnetic field correct?
would current be going through its "poles"?
if so then wouldn't it make magnetic field that rotates counter clockwise if the current was going "up" through the pole?

so what I am asking again is how to solve for the current that is being produced from the sun. then i want to use that with the know distances from the sun to the planets, then use the 1/r^3 equation to see if there are any correlations, i don't know why this is so impossible of a question to ask, I am not asking about if there is an afterlife or what's the meaning to life. just help how to find current, and if that's the best equation to use, or do i need to use an equation for a toroid shape instead.

and I am not trying to have a "chip" on my shoulder, i ask a question and then instead of help i get rick rolled. the only "help" i have received is a link to info on the sun, and i already found that so assuming I am an idiot i thought i needed the pole not the surface average.

anyways can i get some help or not?

well this is what my mind was imagining and i thought i would come to a place like this for the math to see it...pretty much what i envisioned was the "parker spiral"

still though i want to see how that correlates the the orbits of the planets

http://www.keelynet.com/spider/magfield.htm

good thing the eugene parker dude was super smart, otherwise i would be stuck here getting rick rolled lol

looks like he is a badass for sure! but I am sure any of my questions he would roll his eyes at me as well
anyways now i have some new ideas

so you have a sphere, floating in a liquid medium. the sphere vibrates at different frequencies and also spins. yes i know you guys have all done this and nothing happened, but i don't know that so please tell me what would happen

i think it could mimic a parker spiral...maybe i don't know, does anyone know how i could set this up?

Thread will remain locked.

Related to Questions about the Suns magnetic field

1. How does the Sun's magnetic field affect Earth?

The Sun's magnetic field has a significant impact on Earth's environment, particularly in the form of solar storms and auroras. Solar storms, caused by disruptions in the Sun's magnetic field, can create disturbances in Earth's magnetic field and disrupt satellite communications and power grids. Auroras, also known as the Northern and Southern Lights, are created when particles from the solar wind interact with Earth's magnetic field.

2. How is the Sun's magnetic field generated?

The Sun's magnetic field is generated by the movement of electrically charged particles within the Sun's hot, ionized gas (plasma). This movement creates a dynamo effect, similar to a bicycle dynamo, that generates a magnetic field. The specific mechanisms that drive this process are still being studied by scientists.

3. Does the Sun's magnetic field ever change or reverse?

Yes, the Sun's magnetic field is constantly changing and can even reverse its polarity every 11 years. This is known as the solar cycle and is a result of the movement of the Sun's plasma. During this cycle, the Sun's magnetic field weakens and then strengthens again, causing the polarity to flip. This cycle has been observed for hundreds of years and is currently being studied by scientists to better understand its effects.

4. How is the Sun's magnetic field measured?

The Sun's magnetic field is measured using instruments such as magnetometers, which can detect the strength and direction of magnetic fields. Scientists also use telescopes to observe the Sun's surface and study the patterns and movements of the magnetic field. Additionally, spacecrafts, such as NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory, provide valuable data and images of the Sun's magnetic field.

5. Can changes in the Sun's magnetic field affect the Earth's climate?

There is ongoing research to determine if the Sun's magnetic field has an impact on Earth's climate. Some studies suggest that changes in solar activity, including changes in the magnetic field, may have a small effect on Earth's climate. However, the main driver of Earth's climate is human activities, such as greenhouse gas emissions. The extent of the Sun's influence on Earth's climate is still being studied and debated by scientists.