Questions on electrochemical cells using Zn, Cu

In summary, the animation provided at the given website shows an electron transfer between zinc and copper species. Zinc is the species losing electrons, while copper is gaining electrons. The oxidation half reaction is Zn -> Zn 2+ and the reduction half reaction is Cu 2+ -> Cu. The anode is zinc and the cathode is copper. The spontaneous reaction is occurring from zinc to copper, as the zinc is losing electrons and the copper is gaining electrons. The complete balanced equation for the reaction is Cu 2+ + Zn -> Zn 2+ + Cu. Upon further clarification, it is corrected to Cu+2 + Zn -> Cu + Zn+2, where zinc is being oxidized and copper is
Leesy007
The problem

http://www.chem.iastate.edu/group/Greenbowe/sections/projectfolder/animations/CuZncell.html

After veiwing the animation found at the website above answer these questions:

Is there an electron transfer between species?

Which species is losing electrons

Which species is gaining electrons?

Write down the oxidation half reaction under the species that is undergoing oxidation.

Write down the reduction half reaction under the species that is undergoing reduction.

What is the Anode?

What is the Cathode?

Which direction is the spontaneous reaction? Explain your reasoning.

Write the complete balanced equation for the reaction.

2.The attempt at a solution

Is there an electron transfer between species? Yes

Which species is losing electrons? Zinc/Zn

Which species is gaining electrons? Copper/Cu

Write down the oxidation half reaction under the species that is undergoing oxidation. Zn-> Zn 2+

Write down the reduction half reaction under the species that is undergoing reduction. Cu 2+ ->Cu

What is the Anode? Zinc/Zn

What is the Cathode? Copper/Cu

Which direction is the spontaneous reaction? Explain your reasoning.

The spontaneous reaction is occurring from the zinc to the copper because the zinc is losing electrons and the copper is gaining electrons.

Write the complete balanced equation for the reaction.

Zn 2+ + Cu --> Cu 2+ +Zn

Please help me here!

I need someone to check my answers, I'm pretty sure about the first ones, but the last one about the balanced equation I think it wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
PLEASE please PLEASE HELP!

If copper is the species being reduced, how can your reaction be correct?

Zn 2+ + Cu --> Cu 2+ +Zn ?

Thats exactly why I need help ! !

You will notice that the metallic zinc electrode is being converted to Zn+2 and that the Cu+2 ions in solution are picking up electrons and depositing on the surface of the copper electrode. Write down these two processes one after the other:

A+2 + 2e- ------> A
B -------> B+2 + 2e-

Add them together and see what you get...

A+2 + B ---> B+2 + A

we don't factor in the 2e- because they cancel each other out right?

so it would be:

Zn+2 +2e- ----> Zn
Cu----> Cu+2 + 2e-

Right?

wait that's what I had before...

oh god.

would it be

Cu+2 +Zn ----> Cu + Zn+2 ?

That's correct. Now examine each of the metals in the equation. Which one is being oxidized and which is being reduced?

Related to Questions on electrochemical cells using Zn, Cu

1. What is an electrochemical cell?

An electrochemical cell is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy through a redox reaction, where electrons are transferred from one substance to another. It consists of two electrodes (one negative and one positive) immersed in an electrolyte solution.

2. How does a Zn-Cu electrochemical cell work?

In a Zn-Cu electrochemical cell, zinc metal acts as the anode and copper metal acts as the cathode. The zinc atoms lose electrons and become positively charged ions in the electrolyte solution, while the copper ions gain electrons and become copper atoms. This creates a flow of electrons from the anode to the cathode, which can be used as an electrical current.

3. What is the purpose of the salt bridge in an electrochemical cell?

A salt bridge is used to maintain electrical neutrality in an electrochemical cell. It allows ions to flow between the two solutions, preventing a buildup of charge and allowing the redox reaction to continue.

4. How is the voltage of an electrochemical cell determined?

The voltage of an electrochemical cell is determined by the difference in the standard reduction potentials of the two half-reactions (one at the anode and one at the cathode). This can be calculated using the Nernst equation.

5. Can an electrochemical cell be used as a battery?

Yes, an electrochemical cell can be used as a battery by connecting multiple cells in series to increase the voltage and capacity. However, unlike a battery, an electrochemical cell does not have a self-sustaining reaction and will eventually stop producing electricity when the reactants are depleted.