Questions on momentum and collisions

In summary, momentum and collisions are important concepts in physics that involve the motion and interaction of objects. Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity, while collisions refer to the transfer of momentum between two or more objects. Questions related to these topics may involve calculating momentum, analyzing the effects of collisions, and understanding the principles of conservation of momentum. These concepts are crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in motion and their interactions with one another.
John_Locke
Hey these could be simple questions with easy formulas and just plugging in but i don't have them my teacher is the worst teacher i have ever had in high school and what help i can get is appreciated

Homework Statement

A 68.0 kg ice skater moving to the right with a velocity of 2.99 m/s throws a 0.15 kg snowball to the right with a velocity of 22.7 m/s relative to the ground.

A second skater initially at rest with a mass of 60.50 kg catches the snowball. What is the velocity of the second skater after catching the snowball in a perfectly inelastic collision?
An 92.8 kg astronaut is working on the engines of a spaceship that is drifting through space with a constant velocity. The astronaut turns away to look at Earth and several seconds later is 28.7 m behind the ship, at rest relative to the spaceship. The only way to return to the ship without a thruster is to throw a wrench directly away from the ship. If the wrench has a mass of 0.560 kg, and the astronaut throws the wrench with a speed of 18.0 m/s, how long does it take the astronaut to reach the ship?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start but i can figure out the momentum of the skaters
1) Momentum of skater is= p=mv
p=68(2.99)
P=136
Momentum of Snowball p=mv
p=.15(22.7)
p=3.405
for the Astronaut question i use Pi=Pf but i don't know how to break down the equation but i do something with the momentum of the wrench with distance and i don't know an equation for that

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
thanks hage good website Bookmarked it =D

Related to Questions on momentum and collisions

1. What is momentum and how is it related to collisions?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, determined by its mass and velocity. In collisions, momentum is conserved, meaning that the total momentum of the objects before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How do you calculate the momentum of an object?

Momentum can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p=mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In elastic collisions, the total kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision remains the same. In inelastic collisions, some kinetic energy is lost due to the objects sticking together or other forms of energy conversion.

4. Can momentum be transferred between objects in a collision?

Yes, momentum can be transferred between objects in a collision. This is known as impulse, which is the change in momentum of an object due to a force acting on it.

5. How does the law of conservation of momentum apply to real-world collisions?

The law of conservation of momentum applies to all collisions, including real-world collisions. This means that in any collision, the total momentum before and after the collision will be the same, even if there are external forces acting on the objects.