Questions on super gamama rays

• Thread starter atom888
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rays
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of radiation, specifically gamma radiation, on the human body. It is possible for a person to die almost instantly from exposure to a large burst of gamma radiation, but this is unlikely and would require an extraordinary amount of radiation. The conversation also mentions a criticality accident in Japan where workers were exposed to high doses of gamma and neutron radiation, resulting in severe radiation sickness and death. The topic then shifts to a claim that Russia gave Vietnam a type of radiological warfare weapon that can kill people using radiation. However, this claim is not credible and the conversation becomes speculative and silly. The conversation concludes with the idea that the world must come together to address issues related to radiation and the belief that the question has
atom888
A person being exposed to radiation (restricted to gamma) can have a time dependent effects. One can die in a year, months, or even days depending on the dose. Is it possible that gammas can kill a person almost instantly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it would be possible, but that would require an extraordinary burst of radiation (gamma or otherwise). Gamma's are highly penetrating photons which interact by Compton effect and if E> 1.022 MeV, by pair production. The ionizing effects of gammas and the secondary radiation (electrons) ionizes the molecules in the body.

Here is one example of an acute radiation exposure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Slotin#The_criticality_accident

I haven't reviewed this nor confirmed accuracy which should be done with a more reliable source.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_poisoning#Table_of_exposure_levels_and_symptoms

On September 30, 1999, a criticality accident occurred at the Tokai nuclear fuel plant (JCO Co. Ltd., a 100% subsidiary of Sumitomo Metal Mining Co. Ltd.) in Japan. . . . The chain reaction caused heavy releases of gamma and neutron radiation. Three workers were exposed to doses of up to 17 Sv (Sieverts), causing severe radiation sickness. The worker exposed to the higest dose died on December 21, 1999. The worker exposed to the second highest dose of 6 - 10 Sv died on April 27, 2000. 68 other persons were irradiated at lower levels. Among them were the workers who stopped the chain reaction: they were exposed to doses of up to 119.79 mSv, exceeding the 100 mSv limit for emergency situations. The annual dose limit for workers is 50 mSv (while ICRP currently recommends 20 mSv). As of October 7, 1999, radiation levels remained high inside the plant building, preventing inspection of the damage inside the plant.
http://www.wise-uranium.org/eftokc.html

Thx for the result. I am a radiation worker myself so I know what are the effects. However, a while back Russia gave VN a type of radiolocical warfair weapon to stop China's advancing troops. It kills waves of people using radiation. I wouldn't think radiation would be that powerful.

I find the claim that Russia gave the Vietnamese ray guns difficult to credit.

The energy in absorbed radiation ultimately ends up as heat, and we know enough heat kills cells. So yes, it's possible to absorb enough radiation to die immediately. However, this is many orders of magnitude more than LD50, so anyone using these putative ray guns would be in danger of dying themselves from backscattered radiation.

Vanadium 50 said:
I find the claim that Russia gave the Vietnamese ray guns difficult to credit.

The energy in absorbed radiation ultimately ends up as heat, and we know enough heat kills cells. So yes, it's possible to absorb enough radiation to die immediately. However, this is many orders of magnitude more than LD50, so anyone using these putative ray guns would be in danger of dying themselves from backscattered radiation.[/QUOT

It's correct that radiation cause heat. However, I don't think that's the case. If you cook, that's no different than conventional fire. I believe it's through the ionizing mechanism. Radiation can be block using water, lead, poly... only need 2 inches of lead to reduce it to 1/10.

I still don't find the claim that Russians are passing out ray guns credible.

Given that, it seems...um...premature to try and figure out how they work.

Vanadium 50 said:
I still don't find the claim that Russians are passing out ray guns credible.

Given that, it seems...um...premature to try and figure out how they work.

Well, the source comes from a guy who in the battle himself. The weapon, by Geneva rule, can only be use for a country's self defense.

The "Geneva rule"? You mean the Geneva Convention? Of 1949? Nothing about rayguns in that, I'm afraid. But in any event, this conversation has moved from the scientific, past the speculative and is rapidly approaching the silly.

Vanadium 50 said:
The "Geneva rule"? You mean the Geneva Convention? Of 1949? Nothing about rayguns in that, I'm afraid. But in any event, this conversation has moved from the scientific, past the speculative and is rapidly approaching the silly.

well, whatever rule that is. The world must come together at some point. I don't know what's your concern here. You do not believe such a weapon exist or you do not believe Russians give out such weapon. It doesn't matter, my question is already answer. Thx.

atom888 said:
well, whatever rule that is. The world must come together at some point. I don't know what's your concern here. You do not believe such a weapon exist or you do not believe Russians give out such weapon. It doesn't matter, my question is already answer. Thx.

who is this troll?

FAQ: Questions on super gamama rays

1. What are super gamama rays?

Super gamama rays are very high energy electromagnetic radiation that originate from outer space. They are the most energetic form of light and are thought to be produced by some of the most extreme events in the universe, such as supernovae or black holes.

2. How are super gamama rays detected?

Super gamama rays are detected using specialized telescopes, such as the Fermi Large Area Telescope and the High Energy Stereoscopic System. These telescopes are able to detect the high energy radiation and map its direction and intensity in the sky.

3. What is the significance of studying super gamama rays?

Studying super gamama rays can help us better understand the most extreme events in the universe, as well as the fundamental laws of physics. It can also provide insights into the structure and evolution of the universe.

4. Are super gamama rays dangerous?

Super gamama rays are not dangerous to humans as they are blocked by Earth's atmosphere. However, they can be harmful to satellites and spacecraft, and can disrupt communication and navigation systems.

5. Can super gamama rays be used for anything practical?

At the moment, super gamama rays do not have any practical applications. However, scientists are constantly researching and studying this phenomenon in the hopes of finding potential uses in the future.

Back