Questions/problems for Solid State Physics I

In summary, there are many resources available for questions and problems related to Solid State Physics I course, specifically topics from crystal structures to semiconductor introduction using Kittel's book. One recommended source is the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) website, where exams and solutions in English can be found. Other universities may also have their exams publicly available.
Goodver
Can anyone please recommend sources for questions and problems with soultions related to Solid State Physics I course.

For all range of topics from crystal structures up to semiconductors introduction (by Kittel).

Thank you.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
I would personally recommend visiting different universities' websites for exams. For instance, here is a list of some exams at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU): http://home.phys.ntnu.no/instdef/arkiv/eksamen/tfy4220/ for an introductory course on solid state physics, using Kittel's book.

OBS! The site is in Norwegian, but easy to navigate all the same. All exams and solutions are in English [pdf]!
"Løsningsforslag" means "Suggested Solution"
"Oppgave" means "Exam (exercises)"

I bet there are multiple other universities having their exams out public. Hope this helps somehow.

Likes Goodver
Perfect! thanks!

Related to Questions/problems for Solid State Physics I

1. What is Solid State Physics?

Solid State Physics is a branch of physics that studies the physical properties of solid materials, such as metals, semiconductors, and insulators. It involves understanding the behavior of electrons, atoms, and molecules in solids, and how these properties affect the overall properties of the material.

2. What are some common applications of Solid State Physics?

Solid State Physics has a wide range of applications in technology, including the development of electronic devices, such as transistors, integrated circuits, and solar cells. It also plays a crucial role in materials science, where it is used to design and create new materials with specific properties for various industries, such as aerospace, telecommunications, and energy production.

3. What are some of the key concepts in Solid State Physics?

Some key concepts in Solid State Physics include crystal structure, band theory, and defects in crystals. Crystal structure refers to the arrangement of atoms in a solid material, which can greatly affect its properties. Band theory explains the behavior of electrons in solids and how they form energy bands. Defects in crystals, such as impurities or vacancies, can also have a significant impact on the properties of a material.

4. What are the main challenges in understanding Solid State Physics?

One of the main challenges in Solid State Physics is its complexity, as it involves studying the behavior of a large number of particles in a solid material. This requires advanced mathematical and computational techniques. Additionally, the behavior of solids can often be unpredictable and affected by external factors, making it difficult to accurately predict and control their properties.

5. How is Solid State Physics related to other branches of physics?

Solid State Physics is closely related to other branches of physics, such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It also has connections to materials science, chemistry, and engineering. Understanding Solid State Physics can provide insights into the behavior of matter at the atomic and molecular level, which is essential for many other fields of science and technology.