Questions regarding University Physics textbook

In summary, the conversation discusses self-studying physics using the textbook University Physics by Freedman. The main questions are regarding the importance of the Mastering physics package, whether to get the technology update edition, and the differences between the 12th and 13th editions. The speaker advises that for self-study, it does not matter which edition is used and the older edition may be cheaper. The speaker also mentions that they have not used any add-on materials and cannot comment on their usefulness.
christian0710
Hi I'm planning to self study physics from University physics by Freedman so i have a couple of questions

1) how important is the Mastering physics package if the goal is to self-study? Could i make it without masterin physics?
2) Should i get the technology update edition?
3) What are the major differences between 12th and 13th edition? It seems to me that 12th edition is much cheaper, but I also want good explanations and a clear text so I'm not left wondering if i clearly understood the concept.

Physics news on Phys.org
Publishers issue frequent new editions of textbooks like this one, to cut down on the number of students who buy used copies instead of new ones. The changes are almost certainly very small: re-shuffled and re-numbered homework problems, changes in page numbers, etc., that make it difficult to use an old edition with a professor's syllabus that was written using the new edition.

For self-study this doesn't make any difference, so feel free to go with the cheaper edition.

I've never used any of the add-on stuff nor required students to use it, so I can't comment on how beneficial it might be.

Related to Questions regarding University Physics textbook

1. What topics are covered in the University Physics textbook?

The University Physics textbook covers a wide range of topics including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics.

2. Is the University Physics textbook suitable for beginners?

The University Physics textbook is designed for students who have a strong foundation in mathematics and basic physics concepts. It may be challenging for beginners, but it provides a comprehensive and rigorous understanding of the subject.

3. Does the University Physics textbook have practical applications?

Yes, the University Physics textbook covers both theoretical concepts and their practical applications. It provides real-world examples and problems to help students apply their knowledge to various situations.

4. How often is the University Physics textbook updated?

The University Physics textbook is regularly updated to include the latest research and developments in the field of physics. The frequency of updates may vary, but it is typically updated every few years.

5. Are there any online resources or supplements available for the University Physics textbook?

Yes, there are various online resources and supplements available for the University Physics textbook, such as study guides, practice problems, and interactive simulations. These resources can help students better understand and apply the concepts in the textbook.