Questions related to Relations and Functions

In summary, for the first conversation, the range of the function ## \sqrt{x^2+x+1} ## is determined by finding the minimum value of ##x^2+x+1##, which is ##\sqrt{3/2}##, giving the range as [√3/2,∞). For the second conversation, the notation ##f^{-1}(2)## can represent the set of all x such that ##f(x)=2##, even if the inverse of the function does not exist. In the new thread, the composition of the functions ##f(x) = \sin^2x + \sin^2(x+ \pi/3) + \cos x \cos(x+
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

1. Range of the function ## \sqrt {x^2+x+1} ## is equal to?

2.ƒ:R---->R is defined as ƒ(x) = x2 -3x +4, then f -1 (2) is equal to?

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one tried squaring on both the sides but that does not give linear x in terms of y for finding the range.

For second one, I can directly substitute f(x) as 2 for getting the answer.
But I have a confusion that a function must be injective and surjective for the inverse otherwise it inverse must not exist.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. you must have ##x^2 + x + 1 \geq 0## so for what x is that true?

2. I think you could start with ##2 = x^2 - 3x + 4## & go from there

fourier jr said:

1. I'm not asking for domain but range.
I know that the domain would be set of all real numbers.

2. That I know but I think f inverse should not exist as the function is not one one and onto?

fourier jr said:

Raghav Gupta said:
1. I'm not asking for domain but range.
I know that the domain would be set of all real numbers.

You have a square root to worry about, so not every ##x## works in the domain. And what ##x##'s work determine the range.

2. That I know but I think f inverse should not exist as the function is not one one and onto?
Sometimes when ##f^{-1}## does not exist, the notation such as ##f^{-1}(2)## means the set of all ##x## such that ##f(x)=2##.

LCKurtz said:
You have a square root to worry about, so not every ##x## works in the domain. And what ##x##'s work determine the range.
But I see here that if we choose any x here in this case , the value of
x2 + x + 1 is always greater than zero,
so not to worry for square root in this case.

Raghav Gupta said:
But I see here that if we choose any x here in this case , the value of
x2 + x + 1 is always greater than zero,
so not to worry for square root in this case.
That's right, but that does not mean the range is ##(0,\infty)##. For example, what ##x## gives ##f(x) = 1/2##?

LCKurtz said:
That's right, but that does not mean the range is ##(0,\infty)##. For example, what ##x## gives ##f(x) = 1/2##?
No x gives that value

Raghav Gupta said:
No x gives that value
Right. So you still have to figure out the range.

LCKurtz said:
Right. So you still have to figure out the range.
Ya, the range then must be greater then 1/2 also.
What is the method to find the particular value?

Raghav Gupta said:
Ya, the range then must be greater then 1/2 also.
What is the method to find the particular value?
You have to figure out the least that ##x^2+x+1##, and hence its square root, can be.

Likes Raghav Gupta
LCKurtz said:
You have to figure out the least that ##x^2+x+1##, and hence its square root, can be.
I differentiated it,
Got 2x + 1 = 0
Hence x = -1/2, a minima.
Substituting in function we get square root of 3/4 which is √3/2
Hence range is [√3/2,∞)
Thanks.
The word least provoked the differentiation.

Good. Note that you could have also found the min value without calculus by completing the square.

LCKurtz said:
Good. Note that you could have also found the min value without calculus by completing the square.
Hmm that's also fine.
As the thread is related to relations and functions.
I wanted to ask only a last question.

If ## f(x) = sin^2x + sin^2(x+ π/3) + cosxcos(x+ π/3)## and ##g(5/4)=1##, then ##(gof)(x)## is equal to?
Options are
sinx
None of these

I know gof(x) is g(f(x)) but here g(x) is not given.

Anybody there or should I start a new thread?

Raghav Gupta said:
I say yes - new thread. It's quite a different question.

Composition in LaTeX is ##(f\circ g)(x) \ \ \ \leftarrow\ \ \ \text{(f\circ g)(x)}## .

Raghav Gupta said:
Yes, new thread, which you already did.

See my reply in that thread.

FAQ: Questions related to Relations and Functions

What is a relation?

A relation is a set of ordered pairs that show the relationship between two sets of elements. It is a way to express the connection or association between different objects or quantities.

What is a function?

A function is a special type of relation where each input has exactly one output. It can be thought of as a machine that takes in an input and produces a unique output based on a specific rule or equation.

What is the difference between a relation and a function?

The main difference between a relation and a function is that a function has the restriction that each input has only one output, while a relation can have multiple outputs for the same input. In other words, a function is a specific type of relation.

What are the different types of functions?

There are many types of functions, but some common ones include linear, quadratic, exponential, and trigonometric functions. These functions have different algebraic expressions and properties that make them useful in solving various mathematical problems.

How are relations and functions used in real life?

Relations and functions are used in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to model real-life situations and make predictions. For example, in economics, functions can be used to represent demand and supply curves, while in physics, functions can be used to describe the motion of objects. They are also essential in data analysis and understanding patterns and trends.

Back