Quick Chemical kinetics question

In summary: If you have rate=concentration/time squared (M/s^2), then the rate will be divided by k squared to give 2, meaning the second order reaction. etc...
Link
The rate constant for a certain reaction has the units concentration/time. What is the order of the raction?

A. 0
B. 1
C.2
D.3

My reasoning:

K = [A]^m x ^n

Since the concentration/time is to the power of one, both m and n must be one i think which give an overall order of one?... since if they were zero there would be no reaction?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a formula for this.

[tex]k=\frac{\left(\frac{L}{mol}\right)^{\mbox{order}-1}{\mbox{units of time}}[/tex]

EDIT: for some reason the latex is not working.

k=[(L/mol)^{order - 1}]/(units of time)

Do you mean that in order to have the unit as concentration/time, it should be:

K = C^(2-1)/t

which gives the answer C? :confused:

Use the formula. If K must be in units of concentration over time, what must the order be in the formula?

Here's the fixed latex:

[tex]k=\frac{\left(\frac{L}{mol}\right)^{\mbox{order}-1}}{\mbox{units of time}}[/tex]

So its C i suppose

Thank you for the help!

How did you get C? That's incorrect.

if the unit is concentration/time it should be:

(Concentration^1) = K
-------------------
time

So i think it's :

[Concentration]^[2] - 1
------------------------ =
time

(Concentration^1)
------------------- = K
time

the order should be: [2]

Thats how i reasoned.

Review the formula. What are the units for concentration? What are the units in the formula?

Link said:
The rate constant for a certain reaction has the units concentration/time. What is the order of the raction?

A. 0
B. 1
C.2
D.3

My reasoning:

K = [A]^m x ^n

Since the concentration/time is to the power of one, both m and n must be one i think which give an overall order of one?... since if they were zero there would be no reaction?

From your reasoning above where would you get the dimensions of time from ? The error is in that your equation is for the rate, not the rate constant.

You solve this problem, you can either remember the formula provided by Sirus, or simply work it out from first principles. The order n, of the reaction determines the rate law :

[tex] rate = -\frac {dX}{dt} = kX^n [/tex] where X is a concentration.

So [tex]-k = X^{-n} \frac {dX}{dt}[/tex]

So the dimensions of k will be [tex] \frac {[X^{1-n}]}{[T]} [/tex]

In this particular case, the fact that k has the same units as the rate, makes it all the more easy and negates the need to go beyond the first step.

Just focus on the equation rate=kX^n, the units for the rate will always be in terms of concentration/T. The right side of the equation, besides k, will be in terms of concentration, concentration squared, etc...depending on the order number (you should be able to see this). Thus if we have k in terms of concentration/time (M/s), and rate=concentration/time (M/s), dividing the rate by k will give you 1, meaning zero order.

FAQ: Quick Chemical kinetics question

1. What is chemical kinetics?

Chemical kinetics is the study of the rates and mechanisms of chemical reactions. It involves understanding how quickly a reaction occurs and what factors affect its speed.

2. How is reaction rate measured?

Reaction rate is typically measured by monitoring the change in concentration of a reactant or product over time. This can be done using spectrophotometry, chromatography, or other analytical techniques.

3. What factors affect the speed of a chemical reaction?

The speed of a chemical reaction can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of a catalyst, surface area of reactants, and the nature of the reactants and products.

4. What is a catalyst and how does it affect reaction rate?

A catalyst is a substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without being consumed in the process. It lowers the activation energy required for the reaction to occur, making it faster. However, a catalyst does not change the overall outcome of the reaction.

5. How does temperature affect reaction rate?

Increasing the temperature typically increases the reaction rate, as it provides more energy for the reactant molecules to collide and overcome the activation energy barrier. However, very high temperatures can also cause the reaction to slow down or even stop due to changes in the molecules' structure or the presence of other reactions.

Back