Quick noob question: commutative of eigenstates

In summary, the commutation relations between the angular momentum operator L^2 and its components Lz and Lx are discussed. It is noted that if two operators commute, they have a common complete set of eigenvectors, but this does not necessarily mean that they share the same eigenvectors. In the case of L^2, its eigenvalues have a j(j+1)-fold degeneracy. It is also mentioned that the commutator between Lz and Lx is not always zero, as shown by the example of iL_y. The concept of degenerate eigenvalues is also brought up as a possible explanation for this.
Ykjh98Hu
let L be angular momentum operator.

[L^2 , Lz] = 0
[L^2 , Lx] = 0 (I haven't prove this, but appearantly it's correct according to lecturer)

does it imply that [Lx , Lz] = 0?

this is just one interesting thoughts that cross my mind because I recalled that if 2 matrix [A,B] =0, A and B will have same eigenvectors (ie same basis that diagonalise them). Does this apply to above case because:

if L^2 and Lz = 0, we can spell ALL eigenstates of them.
then Lx suppose to share ALL those eigenstates since it commutes with L^2 too.

And...it violate uncertainty principle! (impossible.) so someone point out my error please! thanks =)

Physics news on Phys.org
It is true that if A and B commute, then they have a common complete set of eigenvectors. So obviously if A and C commute, then they also have a complete set of common eigenvectors, but nobody says these two sets must be the same! This of course means that some of the eigenvalues of A must be degenerate, because otherwise the eigenvectors are uniquely determined. This is exactly the case of L^2, whose eigenvalues j = 0, 1/2, 1, 3/2, 2, ... show (at least) a j(j+1)-fold degeneracy. In fact L_z and L_x don't commute, generally: their commutator is iL_y, which is most of the times different from zero.

Petr Mugver said:
It is true that if A and B commute, then they have a common complete set of eigenvectors. So obviously if A and C commute, then they also have a complete set of common eigenvectors, but nobody says these two sets must be the same! This of course means that some of the eigenvalues of A must be degenerate, because otherwise the eigenvectors are uniquely determined. This is exactly the case of L^2, whose eigenvalues j = 0, 1/2, 1, 3/2, 2, ... show (at least) a j(j+1)-fold degeneracy. In fact L_z and L_x don't commute, generally: their commutator is iL_y, which is most of the times different from zero.

ah thanks for the clarification! i notice [Lx,Lz] !=0 and that's why i posted this. i must've forgot about degenerate eigenvalues.

Related to Quick noob question: commutative of eigenstates

1. What is the commutative property of eigenstates?

The commutative property states that the order in which two operators act on a quantum state does not affect the outcome. In other words, the operators commute with each other.

2. Why is the commutative property important in quantum mechanics?

The commutative property is important because it allows us to measure multiple observables simultaneously without affecting the state of the system. This is essential for accurately studying quantum systems.

3. Can the commutative property be applied to all operators in quantum mechanics?

No, the commutative property only applies to operators that represent observables that are mutually compatible. This means that the observables can be measured simultaneously without changing the state of the system.

4. How does the commutative property relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that certain pairs of observables, such as position and momentum, cannot be known simultaneously with absolute precision. The commutative property is related to this principle because operators that do not commute represent incompatible observables that cannot be measured simultaneously with certainty.

5. Can the commutative property be proven mathematically?

Yes, the commutative property can be proven using mathematical equations and proofs, which are derived from the principles of quantum mechanics. This property is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified numerous times.