Quick Pendulum and Trig Question

In summary, the height that a pendulum swings can be calculated using the equation h = r(1-cos\theta) where r is the length of the string and theta is the angle it swings through. This can be understood by drawing a right angled triangle with the hypotenuse as r and using cosine to find the adjacent side, which represents the height of the pendulum.
seuzy13

Homework Statement

This is taken from a much larger problem, but I only need the answer to one particular question. Please help me understand why the height that a pendulum swings is r(1-cos[tex]\theta[/tex]) where r is the length of the string and theta is the angle it swings through.

Homework Equations

h = r(1-cos[tex]\theta[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm afraid trigonometry's one of my weakness. I can't begin to understand why this is the case. I'm sure it involves a crazy mess of right triangles.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you draw a vertical line to represent the pendulum at initial position and then draw it at a general angle, if you draw a horizontal line from the bob to meet the vertical line, you will get a right angled triangle.

In the right angled triangle, the hypotenuse is 'r'.

So what is the adjacent side of this triangle in terms of 'r' and the angle? (Hint: use cosine)

Ah, okay. I see now. Thank you!

Related to Quick Pendulum and Trig Question

1. What is a quick pendulum and how does it work?

A quick pendulum is a simple device used to measure the acceleration due to gravity. It consists of a weight attached to a string or rod, which is suspended from a fixed point. The pendulum works by using the force of gravity to pull the weight towards the center, causing it to swing back and forth in a regular motion.

2. How is the period of a quick pendulum calculated?

The period of a quick pendulum is calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared.

3. What factors affect the period of a quick pendulum?

The period of a quick pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors that can affect the period include air resistance, temperature, and the angle at which the pendulum is released.

4. How is trigonometry used in quick pendulum experiments?

Trigonometry is used in quick pendulum experiments to calculate the angle of release and the amplitude of the pendulum's swing. It is also used to determine the length of the pendulum and the distance traveled by the pendulum over time.

5. What are some real-world applications of quick pendulum experiments?

Quick pendulum experiments have many real-world applications, including measuring the acceleration due to gravity, testing the effects of different factors on the period of a pendulum, and calibrating timekeeping devices. They can also be used to study the laws of motion and demonstrate the principles of harmonic motion.