Quick question about a triple integral

In summary: Sweet, thanks for your help Sammy, I got 1 as the answer as I expected ( from the geometry of course ).In summary, Sammy attempted to solve a homework equation by fixing x and y and then z. He got x=±z and y=±z which formed a square in the xy-plane. He then attempted to get rid of the absolute values by taking 4 times the integral in the first quadrant, but his limits of integration were incorrect.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Let G be the region bounded by z=x2, z=y2 and z=3. Evaluate :

[itex]\iiint\limits_G |xy| dV[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So fixing x and y didn't really give me any useful information. When I fixed z though, I got x=±z and y=±z which forms a square in the xy-plane.

So since my function is continuous and I'm integrating over a square, there shouldn't be any issues whether I pick x or y first.

Now I want to get rid of the absolute value, which seems like more of a logical thing than anything else. So since my region is symmetrical over all my quadrants, could I not just take 4 times the integral in the first quadrant thus eliminating the absolute values? That would cover the entire region if I'm not mistaken thanks to symmetry.

So my iterated integral would be :

[itex]4 * [ \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{z} \int_{0}^{z} xy \space dxdydz ][/itex]

Evaluating that would be easy, I'm just hoping I set it up right. If anyone could validate this I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:

Homework Statement

Let G be the region bounded by z=x2, z=y2 and z=3. Evaluate :

[itex]\iiint\limits_G |xy| dV[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So fixing x and y didn't really give me any useful information. When I fixed z though, I got x=±z and y=±z which forms a square in the xy-plane.

So since my function is continuous and I'm integrating over a square, there shouldn't be any issues whether I pick x or y first.

Now I want to get rid of the absolute value, which seems like more of a logical thing than anything else. So since my region is symmetrical over all my quadrants, could I not just take 4 times the integral in the first quadrant thus eliminating the absolute values? That would cover the entire region if I'm not mistaken thanks to symmetry.

So my iterated integral would be :

[itex]4 * [ \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{z} \int_{0}^{z} xy \space dxdydz ][/itex]

Evaluating that would be easy, I'm just hoping I set it up right. If anyone could validate this I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance.
You certainly can take 4 times the result you get by restricting x & y to the first quadrant.

Your limits of integration are incorrect.

SammyS said:
You certainly can take 4 times the result you get by restricting x & y to the first quadrant.

Your limits of integration are incorrect.

? Which ones, also thanks for clarifying that.

Zondrina said:
? Which ones, also thanks for clarifying that.
Most of them.

z goes from 0 to 3.

If z is bounded by [itex]z=x^2\,\ [/itex] then x is bounded by [itex]\ x=\sqrt{z}\,,\ [/itex] for x in the first quadrant.

etc.

SammyS said:
Most of them.

z goes from 0 to 3.

If z is bound by [itex]z=x^2\,\ [/itex] then x is bound by [itex]\ x=\sqrt{z}\,,\ [/itex] for x in the first quadrant.

etc.

Ohhh whoops. Thanks man it's getting a bit late, getting sloppy. So it would actually be :

[itex]4 * [ \int_{0}^{3} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{z}} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{z}} xy \space dxdydz ][/itex]

:)?

Zondrina said:
Ohhh whoops. Thanks man it's getting a bit late, getting sloppy. So it would actually be :

[itex]4 * [ \int_{0}^{3} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{z}} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{z}} xy \space dxdydz ][/itex]

:)?
Yes.

Much better !

SammyS said:
Yes.

Much better !

Sweet, thanks for your help Sammy, I got 1 as the answer as I expected ( from the geometry of course ).

FAQ: Quick question about a triple integral

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape or find the average value of a function over a three-dimensional region.

2. How is a triple integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve in a two-dimensional plane, while a triple integral calculates the volume under a surface in a three-dimensional space.

3. What is the process for evaluating a triple integral?

The process for evaluating a triple integral involves breaking down the three-dimensional region into smaller, simpler shapes such as cubes or cylinders, and then integrating over each of these shapes. This is often done using the order of integration, which determines the order in which the integrals are evaluated.

4. When would you need to use a triple integral?

A triple integral is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object, such as a solid or a fluid, or to find the mass or center of mass of a three-dimensional object. It is also used in probability and statistics to calculate the probability of events in three-dimensional space.

5. Are there any real-world applications of triple integrals?

Yes, triple integrals have many real-world applications, including calculating the volume of a reservoir, determining the mass of a three-dimensional object, finding the electric field of a three-dimensional charge distribution, and calculating the probability of events in three-dimensional space.