Quick question about Ampere's Law and how to use it?

In summary, Ampere's Law states that the current flowing through a wire loop is proportional to the magnetic field at the center of the loop. However, if an Amperian loop is drawn within the loop, there is no i_enc term and so the right side of Ampere's Law equals zero, which implies there is no magnetic field. However, for a solid material with a cylindrical shape, the graph of B vs radius is a straight line from the origin until the surface radius and then it decreases nonlinearly according to (u0 * I) / (2*pi*r).
Jormungandr
I just have a quick question about how to use Ampere's Law. It says that ∫B ds = u0(i_enc), which I suppose is easy enough to understand. But I'm having trouble reconciling it with the notion of, say, the magnetic field at the center of a loop of wire.

The magnetic field at the center of a loop of wire is B = (u0 * i) / (2R). But what if I were to draw an Amperian loop inside the loop of wire? Not enclosing the loop itself, but just an arbitrary circle within the loop's boundaries. From Ampere's Law, there's no i_enc here, which makes the right side of Ampere's Law equal to 0, which implies there is no magnetic field. And yet the earlier formula says that there is a magnetic field here, and we know there is. So clearly, I'm either using Ampere's Law wrong, or it's not applicable here. I'm not sure. Help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jormungandr said:
there's no i_enc here, which makes the right side of Ampere's Law equal to 0, which implies there is no magnetic field.

No. it implies that ##\int {\vec B \cdot d\vec s} = 0##. What is the direction of ##\vec B## and what is the direction of ##d\vec s## along the loop that you're integrating over?

jtbell said:
No. it implies that ##\int {\vec B \cdot d\vec s} = 0##. What is the direction of ##\vec B## and what is the direction of ##d\vec s## along the loop that you're integrating over?

Hmm. I'm guessing since they're orthogonal, ##\int {\vec B \cdot d\vec s} = 0##, right? Okay. That makes perfect sense, thank you!

Actually, on the subject, I was wondering about something that I saw on a website somewhere. Apparently, the graph of B vs radius of a solid, cylindrical conducting material was a straight line from the origin until the surface radius and then it decreased nonlinearly according to (u0 * I) / (2*pi*r).

However, for a hollow, cylindrical conductor, the graph was 0 until the inner radius, after which time B increased nonlinearly as well until the outer radius, after which it too decreased nonlinearly. I understand why it increases nonlinearly in this case, because the i_enc term has some radius squared terms in it since the Amperian loop doesn't always enclose all of the current.

I don't, however, understand why B increases linearly for a solid material. Doesn't this also have the case where the loops don't encircle the entire current? Shouldn't this also be nonlinearly increasing, but just from the origin?

FAQ: Quick question about Ampere's Law and how to use it?

1. What is Ampere's Law and how does it relate to electricity?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through that loop. It states that the magnetic field is directly proportional to the electric current and the length of the path around the loop.

2. How do I use Ampere's Law to calculate the magnetic field?

To use Ampere's Law, you need to determine the electric current passing through a closed loop and the length of the path around the loop. Then, use the equation B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the electric current, and r is the distance from the loop to the point where you want to calculate the magnetic field.

3. Can Ampere's Law be used to calculate the magnetic field for any shape?

Ampere's Law can only be used to calculate the magnetic field for symmetric shapes, where the magnetic field is constant along the path of integration. For non-symmetric shapes, you will need to use other methods, such as the Biot-Savart Law.

4. What are the units for the magnetic field in Ampere's Law?

The units for the magnetic field in Ampere's Law are tesla (T) in the SI system, or gauss (G) in the CGS system. Both units are measures of magnetic flux density.

5. Is Ampere's Law always accurate in calculating the magnetic field?

Ampere's Law is an approximation and is only accurate in certain situations, such as when the electric current is constant and the magnetic field is constant along the path of integration. In more complex situations, other methods may need to be used to accurately calculate the magnetic field.