Quick question about Bernoulli principle and resistance?

In summary, Bernoulli's equation deals with ONE flow scenario at a time. When you take a pipe with a certain flow and pinch it, the Bernoulli description you were just using is no longer valid.
sameeralord
Ok I studied bernoulli and I can see how fluid would travel faster in narrowed regions but in most examples I see when something is narrowed the flow is reduced. Is this because of resistance? Also when there is resistance speed in the narrowed section is reduced right? I like to know what do they mean by this friction. Simply I'm asking in most occasion when something is narrowed the fluid flows slower due to resistance. It might be faster than non narrowed part but it is slow because of resistance(I mean if there was no resistance it would be faster) Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
This must be the 5th time you have asked this same question. The answer hasn't changed: Bernoulli's equation deals with ONE flow scenario at a time. When you take a pipe with a certain flow and pinch it, the Bernoulli description you were just using is no longer valid.

russ_watters said:
This must be the 5th time you have asked this same question. The answer hasn't changed: Bernoulli's equation deals with ONE flow scenario at a time. When you take a pipe with a certain flow and pinch it, the Bernoulli description you were just using is no longer valid.

Yes you are right I'm sorry for repetition but I still haven't grasped this. Ok now from what you have said this is my new understanding tell me if this is right.Non narrowed area------> narrowed area

Let's say fluid is flowing in a pipe and I suddenly narrowed it. Then I can understand how this would create a restriction and higher pressure in the non narrowed area. Does this higher pressure account for higher pressure loss so there is less force for fluid to move. I want to know if the pressure loss occurs in the non narrowed area due to the restriction or in the narrowed area due the walls coming very close? Thank you! :smile:

Related to Quick question about Bernoulli principle and resistance?

1. How does Bernoulli principle apply to fluid flow?

The Bernoulli principle states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure exerted by the fluid decreases. This principle applies to fluid flow because as a fluid moves faster, it creates a region of low pressure, which can cause the fluid to flow from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure.

2. What is the relationship between Bernoulli principle and resistance?

The Bernoulli principle and resistance are inversely related. As the velocity of a fluid increases due to the Bernoulli principle, the resistance to flow decreases. This is because the low-pressure region created by the Bernoulli principle reduces the force that resists the fluid flow.

3. How does the shape of an object affect the Bernoulli principle?

The shape of an object can affect the Bernoulli principle by changing the velocity of the fluid flow. For example, a curved surface can cause the fluid to accelerate and create a low-pressure region, while a flat surface may not have the same effect.

4. Can the Bernoulli principle be used to explain lift in flight?

Yes, the Bernoulli principle is commonly used to explain lift in flight. As air flows over the curved surface of a wing, it accelerates and creates a region of low pressure above the wing. This low pressure region creates an upward force, or lift, that allows an aircraft to fly.

5. Is the Bernoulli principle applicable to all fluids?

The Bernoulli principle applies to all fluids, including liquids and gases. However, it is important to note that the principle is based on ideal conditions and does not take into account factors such as viscosity or turbulence, which can affect the fluid flow. In some cases, the Bernoulli principle may not fully explain the behavior of a fluid, but it is still a useful concept in understanding fluid dynamics.