Quick Question about Converting Polar cordinates

• Thread starter Quatros
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polar
In summary, the student is trying to solve for the radial coordinate, r, of a point on the ellipse that is created by squaring both sides of the original equation, y^2+2x^2=12x.
Quatros

Homework Statement

I'm suppose to convert Sqrt[12x-2x^2] into a polar equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I went from that equation to r(sin(theta)^2 + 2cos(theta)^2)= 12cos(theta), I really don't know where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quatros said:

Homework Statement

I'm suppose to convert Sqrt[12x-2x^2] into a polar equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I went from that equation to r(sin(theta)^2 + 2cos(theta)^2)= 12cos(theta), I really don't know where to go from there.
Rectangular to polar conversion usually would involve a 2-dimensional quantity. Can you post an image of the full question along with any figure?

Could you please show a complete equation in part 1. The problem statement is incomplete.

All I got was to convert y = sqrt[12x-2x^2] to polar form.

When you square both sides, you get ## r^2 ##. You can let ## sin^2(\theta)+cos^2(\theta)=1 ##, leaving one ## r^2 cos^2(\theta) ##. ## \\ ## Additional comment=the equation ## y^2=12x-2x^2 ## looks like an ellipse that is translated in the x-direction. In this case, it would only be taking the positive values of ## y ##. ## \\ ## Additional note: Except for simple graphs, polar coordinate expressions can often be somewhat clumsy to work with.

Charles Link said:
When you square both sides, you get ## r^2 ##. You can let ## sin^2(\theta)+cos^2(\theta)=1 ##, leaving one ## r^2 cos^2(\theta) ##. ## \\ ## Additional comment=the equation ## y^2=12x-2x^2 ## looks like an ellipse that is translated in the x-direction. In this case, it would only be taking the positive values of ## y ##. ## \\ ## Additional note: Except for simple graphs, polar coordinate expressions can often be somewhat clumsy to work with.

I'm a bit confused,
I went from y^2+2x^2 = 12x

then I converted to

r^2cos(theta) ^2- 2r^2sin(theta ) = 12rsin(theta)

r^2(cos(theta)^2-2r^2sin(theta )) = r(12sin(theta)

Quatros said:
I'm a bit confused,
I went from y^2+2x^2 = 12x

then I converted to

r^2cos(theta) ^2- 2r^2sin(theta ) = 12rsin(theta)
This is incorrect. The relationship is ##y = r\sin(\theta)## and ##x = r\cos(\theta)##, not the other way around, as you have it.
Use the advice that Charles Link is giving.
Quatros said:
r^2(cos(theta)^2-2r^2sin(theta )) = r(12sin(theta)

Charles Link said:
## x=r \cos(\theta) ##. You have it reversed.

r^2(sin(theta)^2-2r^2cos(theta )^2) = r(12cos(theta))
12cos(theta) = (sin(theta)^2 +2cos(theta)^2)r ,

which is where i get stuck.

Quatros said:
r^2(sin(theta)^2-2r^2cos(theta )^2) = r(12cos(theta))
12cos(theta) = (sin(theta)^2 +2cos(theta)^2)r ,

which is where i get stuck.
Can you see that ## sin^2(\theta)+2 cos^2(\theta)=[sin^2(\theta)+cos^2(\theta)]+cos^2(\theta) ##? That should be obvious.

Ohhh, I see then i get 12cos(theta) = 1+ rcos^2(theta), then i just solve for r?

Quatros said:
Ohhh, I see then i get 12cos(theta) = 1+ rcos^2(theta), then i just solve for r?
## 12 \cos(\theta)=r(1+\cos^2(\theta) ) ##. You can then solve for ## r ##.

Related to Quick Question about Converting Polar cordinates

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a two-dimensional coordinate system used to locate points in a plane. They are represented by a distance (r) from the origin and an angle (θ) from a reference line, typically the positive x-axis.

2. How do I convert polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the following equations:

x = r * cos(θ)

y = r * sin(θ)

where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle from the reference line.

3. Can polar coordinates be negative?

Yes, both the distance (r) and angle (θ) in polar coordinates can be negative. A negative distance represents a point in the opposite direction from the origin, and a negative angle represents a point in the opposite direction from the reference line.

4. What is the range for the angle (θ) in polar coordinates?

The range for the angle (θ) in polar coordinates is typically between 0 and 2π (or 0 and 360 degrees). However, depending on the specific application, the range may vary.

5. Can I convert Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

Yes, you can convert Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates using the following equations:

r = √(x^2 + y^2)

θ = arctan(y/x)

where x and y are the coordinates of the point in the Cartesian system.