Quick Question Cons. Energy, elastic collision, projectile

In summary, the problem involves a cube sliding down a frictionless incline and colliding with another cube at the bottom. The incline is 30 cm high and the table is 90 cm off the floor. The equations involved in solving the problem are mgh=1/2mv^2, v=at+v_o, x=.5at^2 +v_o*t +x_0, and conservation of momentum/energy. The mass of the second cube is half of the first cube's mass, and it is recommended to use symbolic values rather than numerical values in the equations. However, using numerical values still results in the correct answer.
0338jw

Homework Statement

In a physics lab a cube slides down a frictionless incline and elastically strikes another cube at the bottom that is only half it's mass. If the incline is 30 cm high and the table is 90 cm off the floor where does each cube land?

Homework Equations

mgh=1/2mv^2
v=at+v_o
x=.5at^2 +v_o*t +x_0
conservation of momentum/energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this problem has three parts, conservation of energy, collision and projectile but I had a question about the mass. so I simply use 2m and M or can i substitute any value in as long as it;s twice the value of the smaller block? I know how to solve all parts but this first part stumbled me a little bit. Thanks in advance, all help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't use numerical values. Call the masses m and m/2. (Or something equivalent.)

Since the actual values of the masses are not needed, the masses will drop out of any final calculation.

well I used numerical values, and I still got the right answer, but thanks for the advice regardless! The big block lands .35m away and the smaller one flies 1.4m away from the table.

0338jw said:
well I used numerical values, and I still got the right answer, but thanks for the advice regardless!
Of course you can plug in numbers, but it's much better--and easier!--to set the equations up symbolically and understand why the masses cancel out.

Related to Quick Question Cons. Energy, elastic collision, projectile

1. What is quick question conservation of energy?

Quick question conservation of energy refers to the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This principle is commonly used in physics to analyze the energy involved in various processes or systems.

2. How does elastic collision differ from inelastic collision?

Elastic collisions occur when two objects collide without any loss of kinetic energy. In contrast, inelastic collisions involve a loss of kinetic energy due to the objects sticking together or deforming upon impact. In both types of collisions, momentum is conserved.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy transferred in a projectile?

The amount of energy transferred in a projectile is affected by the initial velocity of the projectile, the mass of the projectile, and the angle of launch. Other factors such as air resistance and gravitational force can also play a role in determining the amount of energy transferred.

4. How is the conservation of energy applied in real-life situations?

The principle of conservation of energy is applied in many real-life situations, such as in the design of renewable energy sources like wind turbines and solar panels. It is also used in analyzing the energy involved in car crashes and other collisions, and in understanding the energy transformations that occur in chemical reactions.

5. Can the conservation of energy be violated?

No, the conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics and has been proven to hold true in all observed cases. While energy can change forms, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. Any apparent violations of this principle can be explained by factors such as energy transfer to or from the system, or measurement errors.