Quick question of polynomial function

In summary, the conversation discusses determining an equation for a polynomial function, identifying its symmetry, and sketching its graph. The conversation also includes a question about finding the value of the leading coefficient from given information, clarifications on the process, and a question about graph reflection. The leading coefficient for a polynomial function can be found by dividing the y-intercept by the value at x=0, the graph does not reflect across the y-axis, and the graph of (1-x)^4 is its own reflection across the vertical line x=1.
Nelo

Homework Statement

Determien an euation for each polynomial function described below state whether the function is even, odd or neither. Sketch a graph of each.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is.. If youre given information like this ::

a) A quintic function with zeroes at -2(o3) and 3(o2) and that has a y intercept at 70.

From this statement, are you able to determine the value of the leading coefficiant ( ALWAYS?)

So a) would be.. y = (x+2)^3 (x-3)^2 + 70

If i set X = 0, then y= (0+2)^3 (0-3)^2 + 70

Which gives me (2)^3 * (-3)^2 which is 72.

Do i then do the y intercept value over the value of setting the f(0) ?

Like The leading coefficiant for this one would be 70/72(x+2)^3(x-3)^2 + 70

Is that correct?

Plz answer!

In the back of the book the "+70" is gone.. So that represents a vertical stretch of that value instead of the y intercept? I am confused. Why is that the coefficiant

Physics news on Phys.org
y = (x+2)^3 (x-3)^2 + 70 doesn't have zeros at x=(-2) or x=3. Does it? Get rid of the 70 and do it again. You've got the leading coefficient right.

What do you mean..? It says in the question "With a y intercept of 70" , why don't that work..? i get rid of the 70 and do wat? , i got that leading coefficiant by dividing 70 by the value of plugging in 0 into x. How else can i do it?

Nelo said:
What do you mean..? It says in the question "With a y intercept of 70" , why don't that work..? i get rid of the 70 and do wat? , i got that leading coefficiant by dividing 70 by the value of plugging in 0 into x. How else can i do it?

I mean if you put x=(-2) or x=3 into y = (x+2)^3 (x-3)^2 + 70 you don't get zero for y. They aren't roots. Just start with y = A (x+2)^3 (x-3)^2 and determine A so you get y=70 at x=0.

ohh okay, and i do that anytime i get a Y intercept value but no leading coefficiant value right?

So if it told me y int was -14 then y = (x+2)^3 (x-3)^2 -14

y = a(0+2)^3 (0-3)^2 -14

Then solve that, and it becomes a part of a, move one to the other side and divide, right?

Does the -14 join with the a?

Like.. 0= 72a -14 14 = 72a 14/72 . ?

Nelo said:
ohh okay, and i do that anytime i get a Y intercept value but no leading coefficiant value right?

So if it told me y int was -14 then y = (x+2)^3 (x-3)^2 -14

y = a(0+2)^3 (0-3)^2 -14

Then solve that, and it becomes a part of a, move one to the other side and divide, right?

Does the -14 join with the a?

Like.. 0= 72a -14 14 = 72a 14/72 . ?

There is NO REASON to put the -14 into y = (x+2)^3 (x-3)^2 -14 to begin with. I don't know why you are doing it. It makes the y value at x=(-2) and x=3 equal to -14, not the value at x=0, y=-14. The only part of y = (x+2)^3 (x-3)^2 you can adjust and still keep the roots is the leading coefficient.

ok... but the value of the y intercept(when stated) divided by the value of setting f(0) gives me the leading coefficiant right?

Another question.. If i have a grah like (1-x)^4 , then i can remove the x..

[-(x-1)]^4

Does that mean its a reflection on the y axis? Why does the graph still go from q2 to q1 with a upward opening.. It doesn't even reflect. Or am i jus removing a negetive to simplify it, so it doesn't mean y-axis reflection?

-x+1

Nelo said:
Another question.. If i have a grah like (1-x)^4 , then i can remove the x..

[-(x-1)]^4

Does that mean its a reflection on the y axis? Why does the graph still go from q2 to q1 with a upward opening.. It doesn't even reflect. Or am i jus removing a negetive to simplify it, so it doesn't mean y-axis reflection?

-x+1
(1 - x)4 = (-(1 - x))4 = (x - 1)4, for all real x. Note that 1 - x [itex]\neq[/itex], because these quanties have opposite signs.

The graph of y = (1 - x)4 is its own reflection across the vertical line x = 1, but not across the y-axis (the line x = 0).

Related to Quick question of polynomial function

1. What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a mathematical expression that contains variables and coefficients, and is made up of one or more terms that are added or subtracted. The highest power of the variable is called the degree of the polynomial.

2. How do you determine the degree of a polynomial function?

The degree of a polynomial function is determined by the highest power of the variable in the expression. For example, if the expression is 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2 because the highest power of x is 2.

3. What is the difference between a monomial and a polynomial?

A monomial is a polynomial with only one term, while a polynomial has two or more terms. For example, 5x^2 is a monomial, while 5x^2 + 3x - 2 is a polynomial.

4. How do you add or subtract polynomial functions?

To add or subtract polynomial functions, you simply combine like terms by adding or subtracting the coefficients of the same degree. For example, to add 3x^2 + 5x - 2 and 2x^2 + 3x + 1, you would add 3x^2 and 2x^2 to get 5x^2, add 5x and 3x to get 8x, and add -2 and 1 to get -1. The resulting polynomial would be 5x^2 + 8x - 1.

5. What are the different types of polynomial functions?

The different types of polynomial functions include linear (degree 1), quadratic (degree 2), cubic (degree 3), quartic (degree 4), quintic (degree 5), and so on. The degree of a polynomial function can also be zero, in which case it is called a constant function.