Quick question on ensembles of pure states

• Thread starter metroplex021
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pure States
In summary, it is possible to produce an ensemble of individual electrons in pure single-particle spin states. However, whether or not these states stay pure depends on the strength of interaction between the spins of the electrons. If the interaction is small, the states will remain pure, but if it is significant, the states may become entangled over time. The production of such an ensemble physically is possible, but the interaction between electrons may affect the purity of the states.
metroplex021
Hi folks,

I just have a question concerning whether it is possible to produce an ensemble of individual electrons in pure single-particle spin states. I'm assuming it is possible, but sometimes one hears that strictly speaking all electrons are entangled with one another, which would mean that they are not individually in a pure state -- so I"m a bit confused about this! I'd also like to hear how it is possible to produce such an ensemble (if it is indeed possible) physically.

Thanks very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
A beam of electrons can indeed be polarized, so that it is an ensemble of pure spin states. Whether or not those states stay pure depends on the strength of the interaction between the spins of the electrons.

I expect this interaction is small for the densities and time scales usually considered (a beam of electrons in a vacuum is a lot more diffuse than electrons crowded around the nucleus of an atom).

If the spins do appreciably interact, then the state of the group of electrons becomes entangled if you wait long enough. It could also be that the interaction happens slowly enough that for the time it takes an electron to travel from source to detector, it's state doesn't have time to change much.

Perfect. Thanks very much!

FAQ: Quick question on ensembles of pure states

1. What are pure states?

Pure states are quantum states that describe a system with maximum possible information. They are represented as a single vector in a Hilbert space and are characterized by a specific set of quantum numbers.

2. How are ensembles of pure states different from individual pure states?

Ensembles of pure states refer to a group of pure states that describe a system with varying probabilities. This means that the system could be in any one of the pure states within the ensemble, each with a certain probability, as opposed to an individual pure state which has a probability of 1.

3. What is the significance of ensembles of pure states in quantum mechanics?

Ensembles of pure states play a crucial role in understanding the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. They help to explain the uncertainty and indeterminacy of quantum systems and provide a framework for calculating probabilities of outcomes.

4. Can ensembles of pure states be measured or observed?

No, ensembles of pure states cannot be directly measured or observed. This is because they represent a collection of quantum states with varying probabilities and it is not possible to determine which pure state the system is in without collapsing the entire ensemble into a single state.

5. How are ensembles of pure states prepared in experiments?

Ensembles of pure states can be prepared in experiments by using quantum operations such as unitary transformations, measurements, and quantum entanglement. These operations can manipulate the state of a system to create an ensemble with desired probabilities for each pure state.