Quick question regarding a problem with exponentials

• B
  • Thread starter imdone
  • Start date
In summary: I'm sorry if I'm confusing you, I just want to know a way to solve this type of problems, not this problem.As I mentioned, I can't think of any easy way to solve this type of problem in general. Each problem may require a different approach depending on the specific numbers and operations involved. It's important to understand the properties of exponents and logarithms to approach these types of problems.In summary, there is no easy way to solve this type of problem. Each problem may require a different approach and a solid
imdone
Hi, I just completely forgot how to do these type of questions since I haven't been into these maths for a decade, literally.

This type of exponential problems which I'm truly disappointed in my brain.
(a^x+n)+(b^x+m)=(c^x+i)+(d^x+j)
I believe there is a very easy way to solve this but it's just on the tip of my brain.

Example: 6.3^x+2 - 4.5^x+3 = 3^x+4 - 5^x+4; find x
Could anyone here tell me the theory or a way that can effectively solve these problems.
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
imdone said:
Hi, I just completely forgot how to do these type of questions since I haven't been into these maths for a decade, literally.

This type of exponential problems which I'm truly disappointed in my brain.
(a^x+n)+(b^x+m)=(c^x+i)+(d^x+j)
I believe there is a very easy way to solve this but it's just on the tip of my brain.

Could anyone here tell me the theory or a way that can effectively solve these problems.
Thanks
There is no way to solve this type of equation other than a numerical, i.e. an algorithm that computes a number that comes as close as you want, but still not exactly, e.g. by nested intervals.

imdone said:
Just to be clear, what you wrote is this:
##6.3^x + 2 - 4.5^x + 3 = 3^x + 4 - 5^x + 4##

You didn't happen to mean this, did you?
##6.3^{x + 2} - 4.5^{x + 3} = 3^{x + 4} - 5^{x + 4}##

fresh_42 said:
There is no way to solve this type of equation other than a numerical, i.e. an algorithm that computes a number that comes as close as you want, but still not exactly, e.g. by nested intervals.
hmm, I'm fairly certain I used to solve these in high school with a different approach. By that, I mean minimise the equation into 'log term' and use a calculator, but not using it at the start.

Mark44 said:

Yes, sorry for the inconvenience.

Mark44 said:

imdone said:
Yes, sorry for the inconvenience.
OK, also from what you wrote I'm assuming that on the left side 6.3 is being raised to the power x + 2 and 4.5 is being raised to the power x + 3. Is my interpretation accurate, or are you using . to indicate multiplication?

IOW, is this the problem you're asking about?
##6 \cdot 3^{x + 2} - 4 \cdot 5^{x + 3} = 3^{x + 4} - 5^{x + 4}##

I suspect that this is really the problem you meant to ask. If so, I get a solution of x = -3.

When you post a question involving mathematics, it's important to write it in a way that accurately communicates what you're working on. In this case, missing parentheses and using . for multiplication instead of * made it difficult to know what the problem was.

Last edited:
Logarithms should do the trick. Given that log(a·b(x+c))=log(a)+(x+c)·log(b) it seems to be a solvable problem.

Adirdagal said:
Logarithms should do the trick. Given that log(a·b(x+c))=log(a)+(x+c)·log(b) it seems to be a solvable problem.
No, because what is true for one term, fails for sums. There is no formula for ##\log (a +b)##.

fresh_42 said:
No, because what is true for one term, fails for sums. There is no formula for ##\log (a +b)##.
Quite right.

Mark44 said:
I suspect that this is really the problem you meant to ask. If so, I get a solution of x = -3.
Yes, sorry, but I'd love to know how you did that step by step or 'a quick easy way' to solve such problems?
As I mentioned 'I used to solve these in high school', this exact problem was given to me and I solved it fairly easily, but not now.

I hope you forgive me for the roughness of those messages, and I'm looking forward for your reply.

Thanks

Assuming this is the problem you're asking about,
##6 \cdot 3^{x + 2} - 4 \cdot 5^{x + 3} = 3^{x + 4} - 5^{x + 4}##

##3^{x + 2} = 3^x \cdot 3^2 = 9 \cdot 3^x##, so ##6 \cdot 3^{x + 2} = 6 \cdot 9 \cdot 3^x = 54 \cdot 3^x##
Carry out this same type of operation on all four terms in your equation, and then combine all of the ##3^x## terms on one side of the equation, and all of the ##5^x## terms on the other side. Give it a shot and we'll help you, but forum rules prevent me from just working the problem through.

Mark44 said:
##3^{x + 2} = 3^x \cdot 3^2 = 9 \cdot 3^x##, so ##6 \cdot 3^{x + 2} = 6 \cdot 9 \cdot 3^x = 54 \cdot 3^x##
Sorry, it was 6.3x+2−4.5x+3=3x+4−5x+4 not 6⋅3x+2−4⋅5x+3=3x+4−5x+4
and also I'd like to know 'the easy way' or at least how to generally solve these problems not only 'this' problem.
Thanks, if you could help me.

imdone said:
Sorry, it was 6.3x+2−4.5x+3=3x+4−5x+4 not 6⋅3x+2−4⋅5x+3=3x+4−5x+4
and also I'd like to know 'the easy way' or at least how to generally solve these problems not only 'this' problem.
Thanks, if you could help me.
Now we're going backwards. The thread title indicates that the problem involves exponents, but what you wrote above doesn't show that at all.

Just looking at the first part of the equation you wrote, 6.3x+2, you wrote this earlier as 6.3^x+2. If you mean this to be ##6.3^{x + 2}##, it should be written using TeX as I did, or as 6.3x+2, using the BBCode capabilities on this site, or as 6.3^(x + 2). Same for the other terms in your equation.

If this is the equation you're interested in solving, ##6.3^{x + 2} - 4.5^{x + 3} = 3^{x + 4} - 5^{x + 4}##, I can't think of any easy way to solve it.

It is
Mark44 said:
I assume you understand the question since my first post, however, let's put that aside I'll focus on the main topic.

So, basically you tell me you don't know the 'easy way' to solve it, but how would you solve it?
the easiest solution you could think of might be the solution I've been looking for

As always, thanks

imdone said:
So, basically you tell me you don't know the 'easy way' to solve it, but how would you solve it?
the easiest solution you could think of might be the solution I've been looking for
As @fresh_42 said in post #2, the only way to solve this equation is by a numerical algorithm of some kind.

Related to Quick question regarding a problem with exponentials

1. What is an exponential?

An exponential is a mathematical function in which a constant base is raised to a variable exponent. It can be written as y = ab^x, where a is the base and x is the exponent.

2. What is the problem with exponentials?

The main problem with exponentials is that they can grow or decay very quickly, making it difficult to accurately predict their behavior. This can lead to inaccuracies in calculations and models.

3. How do you solve problems with exponentials?

There are various methods to solve problems involving exponentials, such as using logarithms, graphing the function, or using the properties of exponents. It depends on the specific problem and what information is given.

4. Can you give an example of a problem involving exponentials?

Sure, an example of a problem involving exponentials could be the growth of a bacteria population. The population size can be represented by an exponential function, where the base is the growth rate and the exponent is the time. Solving for the population at a specific time or finding the time it takes for the population to reach a certain size would involve working with exponentials.

5. How are exponentials used in real life?

Exponentials are used in various fields such as economics, biology, and physics. They can be used to model population growth, compound interest, radioactive decay, and many other natural phenomena. They are also used in technology, such as in computer algorithms and signal processing.